[unav_all] session announcement EGU 2012

Malte Westerhaus westerhaus at gik.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Jan 5 04:49:04 MST 2012

Dear colleague,

with apologies for multiple posting, we would like to draw
your attention to the EGU session:

GD3.7/G3.2/TS9.9
Integrating geodetic and geological studies of active crustal
deformation

which will take place during the EGU General Assembly in Vienna,
Austria, 22-27 April 2012.

The general idea of this session is to examine progress and open
problems of combining data sets from different disciplines and at
different temporal and spatial scales to improve our understanding
of active custal deformation. Beyond the remarkable consistency
between e.g. space geodetic and geological estimates at large
scales (e.g. plate motions), there are a lot of settings where
significant discrepancies between different types of data are
still not resolved.

What are the reasons for existing discrepancies? This shall be
discussed during the session that aims to bring together geodesists
(esp. GNSS, InSAR, levelling), geologists and geomorphologists
in order to compare and combine their data sets of tectonic
deformation in various interplate and intraplate settings, to
pinpoint the tectonic environments most prone to problems of
data inconsistency, and to examine the reasons of diverging
geodetic and geological rate estimates if they exist. It
especially welcomes contributions that discuss data fusion
approaches in order to derive improved 3D surface displacement
fields as well as models integrating geodetic and geological data.

We would like to encourage you to submit an abstract
to this session by latest 17 Jan 2012 using the link:
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2012/session/9120

Please feel free to forward the call for abstract to any
colleague who might be interested in the session.

We are looking forward to meeting you in Vienna.

Malte Westerhaus, Matthias Becker, Alain Demoulin and Tim Wright

Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Geodetic Institute

Dr. Malte Westerhaus

Englerstr. 7
D-76131 Karlsruhe

Phone: ++49 721 608 43673
Fax: ++49 721 608 46808 or 46552
Email: malte.westerhaus at kit.edu

KIT - University of the State of Baden-Wuerttemberg and
National Research Center of the Helmholtz Association