[unav_all] postdoc opportunity

Kristine Larson kristinem.larson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 17:48:08 MST 2012

Continuously-operating, high-precision GPS networks are part of modern
infrastructure, contributing large streams of data to surveyors,
transportation/communication users, and earth scientists.  Although the
purpose of these networks is to provide precise positions, these data are
also sensitive to hydrologic variables, including soil moisture, snow
depth, and vegetation water content. The University of Colorado in Boulder
is leading an effort to develop water cycle products from these data. We
seek a postdoc for 1-2 years to work with our interdisciplinary team of
geodesists and environmental scientists. The candidate should have a PhD in
geodesy, electrical engineering or an earth science discipline focused on
active remote sensing. Candidates should have a working knowledge of
computer programming (unix, Matlab, C or Fortran) and be fluent in written
and spoken English.

Other requirements:

Ability to work with an interdisciplinary team of engineers and scientists.

Supervise field studies to validate GPS-derived water cycle products.

Develop models and retrieval algorithms for reflected GPS signals.

Compare GPS water cycle products with other remotely sensed data.

Our group is led by Kristine Larson (Dept. Aerospace Engineering Sciences)
and Eric Small (Dept. Geological Sciences). We collaborate with scientists
at UCAR, NCAR, NOAA, and UNAVCO.

A summary of our work can be found at http://xenon.colorado.edu/reflections

Please send your vita, a statement of your interests and plans, and the
names of 3 references to

gps.reflections at gmail.com. Interviews for the position will begin in
February.

--
Kristine M. Larson
Professor of Aerospace Engineering Sciences

University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0429

phone:  303 492-6583
fax:       303 492-7881