[unav_all] Subduction and geohazards monitoring symposia at IGC 2012 in Brisbane

Laura Wallace L.Wallace at gns.cri.nz
Thu Jan 12 15:08:49 MST 2012

We would like to call your attention to the following two symposia that
are part of the program for the Geohazards Theme of the 34th International
 Geological Congress to be held in Brisbane, Australia on 5-10 August 2012
(see http://www.34igc.org/index.php). For Symposium 30.4 Geohazards in
subduction zones, we welcome contributions from any field that contributes
to the understanding of geological hazards related to the subduction
process. For Symposium 30.6 Earth monitoring for improved forecasting of
natural hazards, we welcome contributions from scientists actively
involved in the monitoring of natural hazards, as well as those developing
new techniques that can be applied to forecasting and early warning.
The symposia descriptions appear below. Abstracts can be submitted via (
http://www.34igc.org/submit-abstracts.php), but please note that the
deadline for submission is 17 February.
Best regards, and we look forward to seeing you in Brisbane!

Laura Wallace, Phil Cummins, Danny Natawidjaja, and Ken Gledhill

30.4 Geohazards in subduction zones

Laura WALLACE l.wallace at gns.cri.nz (New Zealand), Phil CUMMINS (Australia)
and Danny NATAWIDJAJA (Indonesia)

Subduction zones are the scenes of the most intense geological activity on
the planet. They are the source of the earth's largest earthquakes and
tsunamis, and some of its largest and most dangerous volcanic eruptions.
High rainfall and fertile soils in many such areas support large
populations. As a consequence, subduction zones are often associated with
high natural hazard risk. Despite their potential impact on human society,
some of the most fundamental questions about these hazards remain to be
answered: what are the maximum credible events, what are their typical
recurrence rates, and what are the structural, chemical and mechanical
factors that control them? What is the relationship of newly discovered
slow slip event behaviour to subduction thrust earthquakes? How does the
occurrence of one earthquake trigger subsequent earthquake and volcanic
activity? What geologic factors enhance tsunami generation? Contributions
are invited aimed at answering such questions, from studies of the
fundamental process driving subduction zone geohazards, to the local
environmental and geological factors that determine their impacts.
30.6 Earth monitoring for improved forecasting of natural hazards
Phil CUMMINS phil.cummins at anu.edu.au (Australia) and Ken GLEDHILL (New
Zealand)

The 21st century has begun with a string of natural disasters of seemingly
unprecedented scale, including the 2004 Indian Ocean and 2011 NE Japan
tsunamigenic earthquakes, the 2010 Haiti earthquake, and major floods in
China, Brazil and Australia as well as bush/wildfire disasters in
Australia, Russia and Israel during 2010-2011. These events have all
demonstrated that our ability to monitor natural hazard phenomena has
improved dramatically over the last two decades, due to a proliferation of
observation platforms including real-time seismographic, geodetic and sea
level networks as well as space- and air-borne remote sensing systems.
While these technologies have provided a wealth of data for post-event
analysis, how well do they contribute to our ability for real-time
monitoring and forecasting of natural hazard phenomena? We invite
presentations on novel uses of real-time environmental monitoring to help
forecast natural hazard phenomena - e.g. monitoring of earthquakes and
ground deformation using real-time seismographic and geodetic networks and
their use in forecasting tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, real-time
rainfall and other remote sensing measurements for forecasting landslides
and floods, and monitoring of surface temperature and vegetation to
forecast bush/wildfires. We are particular interested in presentations
that combine such observations with dynamic modelling of natural hazard
phenomena.