[unav_all] Dr. Linda Rowan to Join UNAVCO

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Thu Jul 12 12:37:15 MDT 2012

UNAVCO Community Colleagues,

You may remember the position that we posted for UANVCO External Affairs:  to develop international collaborations and proposals to strengthen global geodesy and to advance international capacity building initiatives; work with public officials, member university government relations offices, and partner organizations to inform public policy; and work with UNAVCO staff to support our web presence in these outreach areas.

On August 20,  Dr. Linda Rowan will join UNAVCO's senior team as the External Affairs Director.  She brings strong academic credentials in geology with B.S. degrees in both Geology and Computer Science/Mathematics from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, and an M.S. and Ph.D. from Caltech.  She served as an NRC post-doc at NASA-Johnson Space Center.  Most of you will know her from her work at AAAS and AGI.   For a decade, she served on the editorial staff at Science Magazine including five years as Senior Editor.   Since 2005, Linda has directed Geoscience Policy for the American Geosciences Institute where she has worked actively with AGI's Member Societies, Congress, and federal agencies to bring improved science into decision-making for public policy, and many related activities.

We look forward to working with you as investigators and as member institutions in advancing these goals.

Please join me in congratulating Linda!  We are very excited to have her join UNAVCO, and feel fortunate to have recruited someone of her caliber.

Best regards,

Meghan

P.S.  Recall that Donna Charlevoix started last week as the new Program Director, Education and Community Engagement.  Glen Mattioli started in June as Program Director, Geodetic Infrastructure.  UNAVCO's senior team is fully staffed, and good things are happening on your behalf!
M. Meghan Miller, Ph.D.

meghan at unavco.org

http://www.unavco.org/community/policies_forms/acknowledgment.html