[unav_all] AGU session: Seismicity in Low-Strain Intraplate Regions

seth at earth.northwestern.edu seth at earth.northwestern.edu
Tue Jul 17 11:33:21 MDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

Please consider submitting an abstract to the following special session at
AGU:

T010: Controls on Seismicity and Fault Rupture in Low-Strain Intraplate
Regions

Large earthquakes in continental low-strain regions show their potential
for catastrophic damage. Their understanding is challenging due to
fault-slip rates below geodetic resolution, sparse earthquake records, and
seismicity varying in space and time. Inherited crustal weakness or
complex rupture patterns often complicate the assessment of tectonic
activity and hence seismic hazard. We seek contributions involving
characterization of regions that have experienced intraplate events in
Quaternary time. We welcome studies focusing on assessment and comparison
of short- and medium-term fault processes and rates that may lead to
better understanding of the controls on seismicity and fault rupture in
low-strain regions.

You can submit your abstract at http://agu-fm12.abstractcentral.com/.  The
abstract deadline is August 8.

Angela Landgraf, University of Potsdam
landgraf at geo.uni-potsdam.de

Esther Hintersberger, University of Vienna
esther.hintersberger at univie.ac.at

Simon Kuebler, Ludwig Maximilian University Munich
kuebler at iaag.geo.uni-muenchen.de

Seth Stein, Northwestern University
seth at earth.northwestern.edu

Seth Stein
William Deering Professor
Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208
847-491-5265 847-491-8060 (fax)
http://www.earth.northwestern.edu/people/seth