[unav_all] IRIS Webinar on Global Earthquake Studies at the USGS-NEIC @ 1 pm EDT August 15th

Andy Frassetto andyf at iris.edu
Wed Jul 25 11:23:01 MDT 2012

IRIS invites you to attend a webinar on "Earthquake Science at the
Border Between Real Time Response and Long-Term Research" on August 15,
2012 from 1-2 pm EDT.

Space for 100 attendees during the webinar is available on a first come,
first serve basis. If you are interested, please reserve a spot now:
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/723305882

After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the webinar. Following the presentation there
will be the opportunity for questions. Please email Andy Frassetto
(andyf at iris.edu) with any questions. More information on IRIS research
webinars, including links to previously recorded presentations, may be
found here: http://www.iris.edu/hq/webinar/

Presenter: Gavin Hayes, National Earthquake Information Center, United
States Geological Survey

Information Center (NEIC), our research interests are aligned with the
identification and application of approaches that help improve the speed
and accuracy of earthquake response and advance studies of earthquake
hazard reduction. Over the past several years, this research has
included the use of the W-Phase and finite fault inversions for
understanding the earthquake source; the construction of
three-dimensional slab geometry models for understanding subduction zone
characteristics; earthquake relocation studies to better image
aftershock sequences of major events. Such research products also have
applications beyond their use in rapid earthquake characterization, for
example, the integration of all of these methods and their results
provide a more complete understanding of seismogenic and tectonic
processes than any one method alone can give.

In this webinar I will discuss these research applications: how they
have developed and have been applied at the NEIC, and how they are being
used for both real time earthquake response and longer-term research. I
hope to be able to provide a better understanding of the ongoing science
conducted at the NEIC, of our interactions with exciting research coming
from the academic community, and of the integration of both to drive
improvements in rapid earthquake response and our understanding of the
earthquake source.

System Requirements
PC-based attendees
Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP or 2003 Server
Macintosh®-based attendees
Required: Mac OS® X 10.5 or newer