[unav_all] Job Announcement: System Administrator II or III
zilling at unavco.org
Mon Jul 30 08:39:58 MDT 2012
Job Announcement: System Administrator II or III
UNAVCO, a non-profit membership-governed consortium, facilitates geoscience research and education using geodesy.
For nearly three decades, UNAVCO has spearheaded the utilization of cutting-edge technology while providing robust operational support for researchers exploring tectonics (earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics), the deformation of ice, the Earth's response to ground water, sea level, and aspects of the hydrosphere, and atmosphere. The UNAVCO Community uses high-precision GPS, LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) for Airborne Laser Swath Mapping and Terrestrial Laser Scanning, InSAR (Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar), and more. We host the NSF’s Geodesy Data Archive and provide cyberinfrastructure to support the full data life cycle and interoperability with national and international Earth science Data Centers.
Our long-term success depends on development of a forward-looking, diversified workforce that draws on and cultivates talent across the demographic spectrum of gender and ethnicity, across international boundaries, and across scientific disciplines.
We invite candidates to review the position description below and to submit an application by going to https://unavcocareers.silkroad.com/. This position will be open until filled; screening date begins 8/03/12.
Summary of Job
Responsible for planning, designing, implementing, operating and maintaining IT infrastructure including networks, servers, data storage units and system software. Responsible for data center infrastructure maintenance and upgrades including power management and air conditioning.
Internal: Works with Manager, Software Engineering and System Administration to set system administration priorities. Works with other system administrators to solve problems and coordinate efforts. Works extensively with other software engineers in the organization to ensure IT needs are fulfilled satisfactorily. Works with field engineers to solve geodetic station communications issues. Provides support to the Help Desk Engineer when requested. May act as a mentor for more junior system administrators.
External: Works with various IT suppliers and contractors for the purposes of; procuring equipment, identifying the most cost effective equipment for UNAVCO, identifying optimal upgrade paths, maintaining current equipment and maintaining network connectivity. Will also interact with IRIS system administrators for colocation support and peers in related fields of interest to stay current with IT practices.
Essential Job Functions
· Perform advanced network administration, design, maintenance, procurement and support for both UNAVCO’s internal network and extensive remote station network.
· Perform server administration supporting Solaris and Linux OS’s in both a virtualized (VMWare) and non-virtualized environment. Procurement of new servers.
· Procure, design and administer data storage devices.
· Install system and application software.
· Maintain, monitor and design required changes in the data center infrastructure including air conditioning, power supply, UPS and cabling.
· Develop and maintain required backup and recovery procedures and systems
· Document procedures and systems used by the system administration team.
· Identify and configure solutions and develop procedures for email, printing, calendaring, shared data repositories, anti-virus protection, scheduling and other business systems.
· Collaborates extensively with other scientists, engineers, business analysts and developers to implement systems that improve productivity and advance UNAVCO’s objectives.
· Other duties may be assigned as necessary for successful operation of the business.
To perform this job successfully, this individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The individual hired must have advanced level skills and job experience in the following areas –
· Installation, configuration and management of Solaris and Linux operating systems.
· Ability to build and install software on Solaris and Linux operating systems.
· Network design, configuration and problem solving experience with Cisco routers, switches, VPN concentrators, wireless routers, and firewalls.
· Highly proficient with Unix shell scripting.
· Experience managing virtual hosts with VMWare.
· Experience with backup software and performing system and data backup and recovery.
· Good interpersonal skills working with peers, supervisors, and in planning team-oriented projects.
· Good written and oral communication skills in English.
Desired Skills and Knowledge
· Configuring and maintaining DNS
· Window’s Server installation and networking.
· Apache HTTP Server configuration
· Knowledge and experience with SMTP, IMAP and email software.
· Experience in managing data center infrastructure including power supply, power distribution, air conditioning and cabling.
· Knowledge of database management systems such as Oracle, Postgres and MySql.
Required Educations and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science with an emphasis on systems administration and a minimum 5 years (II-level), or 8 years (III-level), relevant network and systems administration experience in an advanced IT environment OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Experience in a scientific/technical organization is preferred.
Ability to use fingers and repetitive motion on computing and communications devices; see well enough to use computer effectively; and both hear and speak effectively on phone. Must be able to sit for sustained periods of time.
Ability to understand, remember and communicate routine, factual information. Ability to organize and prioritize own work schedule on short-term basis (longer than one month). Ability to make decisions which have moderate impact on immediate work unit. Ability to compose letters, outlines, memoranda, and basic reports and/or to orally communicate technical information. Ability to compute, analyze and interpret numerical data for report purposes.
Boulder, CO, US.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the unav_all