[unav_all] Position Announcements: Data Technician II
zilling at unavco.org
Fri Mar 23 10:10:08 MDT 2012
UNAVCO is seeking two dedicated Data Technician II’s. The positions are based at UNAVCO's main offices in Boulder, Colorado.
For nearly three decades, UNAVCO has spearheaded the utilization of cutting-edge technology while providing robust operational support for researchers exploring tectonics (earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics), the deformation of ice, the Earth's response to ground water, sea level, and aspects of the hydrosphere, and atmosphere. Our instrumentation toolbox includes high-precision GPS, LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) for Airborne Laser Swath Mapping and Terrestrial Laser Scanning, InSAR (Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar), and more. We host the NSF’s Geodesy Data Archive and provide cyberinfrastructure to support the full data life cycle and interoperability with national and international Earth science Data Centers.
Our long-term success depends on development of a forward-looking, diversified workforce that draws on and cultivates talent across the demographic spectrum of gender and ethnicity, across international boundaries, and across scientific disciplines.
We invite candidates to review the position description below and to submit an application by going to https://unavcocareers.silkroad.com/. Flexible work arrangements may be available. This position will be open until filled; screening date begins 4/9/12.
Handles data/metadata acquisition and/or delivery via internet protocol to repositories, archives and/or analysis centers.
Internal: Receives supervision, guidance, and review on assignments and objectives. Assistance is furnished on unique and unusual problems. Works closely with peers and supervisor on team-oriented projects.
External: Works with community members for data and metadata exchange.
Essential Job Functions
• Enters metadata related to data acquisition and management into online databases and webpages.
• Runs quality-control checks on acquired data and metadata.
• Runs dataflow software and monitors dataflow integrity with minimal supervision and provides
additional diagnostics when problems occur.
• May remotely configure instruments in the field and helps establish protocols for these changes.
• Maintains compliance with established procedures and documents new procedures.
• Provides regular reports on activities and progress.
• Tracks workflow in appropriate database.
• Acts as point of contact for data requestors
Other duties may be assigned as necessary for the successful operation of the business.
To perform this job successfully, this individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Excellent data entry skills.
• Good skills in word processing and spreadsheet software.
• Working knowledge of computer operating systems including UNIX (Solaris) and Linux (SuSE) systems, MacOSX and Microsoft Windows.
• Working knowledge of UNIX shell-scripting, including the ability to manipulate files in a hierarchical file structure using commands.
• Some knowledge of relational database systems and SQL queries.
• Is expected to understand and comply with procurement and allowable-costs standards within a grant-funded organization
• Good written and oral English communication skills.
• Two year degree in computer science, physical science or engineering or related field and three years data entry experience or related experience.
Ability to use fingers and repetitive motion on computing and communication devices; see well enough to use computer effectively; and both hear and speak effectively on phone. Must be able to sit for sustained periods of time.
Ability to understand, remember and apply oral and/or written instructions or other information. Ability to organize thoughts and ideas into understandable terminology. Ability to apply common sense in performing job. Ability to understand and follow basic instructions and guidelines. Ability to complete routine forms, use existing form letters and/or conduct routine oral communication.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the unav_all