[unav_all] New UNAVCO Program Director, Geodetic Infrastructure

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Fri May 4 10:45:38 MDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to announce that Dr. Glen Mattioli has agreed to accept the post of Program Director, Geodetic Infrastructure at UNAVCO.  He brings many assets to UNAVCO, including a long history of contributions to geodesy across the Americas, strong professional relationships with UNAVCO's core sponsors including service as a program officer at NSF, broad perspective developed through his faculty appointments at University of Puerto Rico, University of Arkansas, and University of Texas, Arlington.   He will maintain faculty status at UTA, while on assignment to UNAVCO, under an agreement that we are just finalizing.

Effective June 18, his start date, we will consider the program reorganization - from UNAVCO Facility and Plate Boundary Observatory, to Geodetic Infrastructure and Geodetic Data Services - complete.  I have attached the thread that explains that change, for your interest.   Chuck Meertens will continue to be the point of contact for the UNAVCO Community and Facility cooperative agreement; Glen Mattioli will serve as the point of contact for the EarthScope - PBO and SAFOD cooperative agreement.

Glen's areas of responsibility will include:
·       Setting direction aligned with science community planning and proposals, with a particular focus on sustaining and enhancing the Plate Boundary Observatory and COCONet, as well as recent GPS and meteorology enhancements to Africa Array. Currently supported geodetic observations include campaign, continuous, and high-rate, low-latency GPS; terrestrial laser scanning; strain and borehole seismic data; meteorological observations; and geodetic imaging (SAR and LiDAR) acquired from a variety of platforms.
·  As a member of the senior management team, develops multi-year plans and budget projections.  Independently and in collaboration, writes competitive and successful proposals, manages awards to meet science community needs. This position directly supports UNAVCO’s focus on emerging international partnerships and projects.
·       Supervises project managers and engineering staff in the development and operation of geodetic observing networks and systems to support of community science goals, securing resources for and providing services to support the program on behalf of the science community.
·       Interacts with program sponsors at the National Science Foundation, NASA, USGS, and other agencies as appropriate to program goals.  This position requires oversight of program planning, staff, projects, and activities supported by NSF-EAR, OPP, and AGS, and NASA

Chuck Meertens will oversee data, data products, cyberinfrastructure and related activities.   We are also progressing with the search for a director of Education and Community Engagement.

We are very much looking forward to being at full capacity on the senior management team, and with some great new talent.

Please join me in congratulating Glen!  We are so pleased.

Best,

M. Meghan Miller, Ph.D.

meghan at unavco.org

http://www.unavco.org/community/policies_forms/acknowledgment.html