[unav_all] 2013 AGU Fall meeting

Mark Simons simons at caltech.edu
Thu Jul 11 12:13:51 MDT 2013

We wish to draw your attention to the following 2013 Fall AGU session focussing on temporal and spatial variability in the character of fault slip.  (We apologize if you receive this notice multiple times).

G024. The extent to which large portions of major faults slip both seismically and aseismically - observations and implications

Geodetic observations from recent large earthquakes in a variety of geological settings enable increasingly refined estimates of the spatial distribution of coseismic fault slip. These estimates are complemented by inferences of aseismic deformation before and after large earthquakes. We should now ask to what extent do major portions of a given fault slip both seismically and aseismically – do these behaviors overlap substantially or are they to a large extent mutually exclusive? Answers to this question provide important constraints on allowable models of fault rheology. We seek diverse contributions from field, laboratory, modeling, and theoretical studies.

Conveners: Mark Simons, Luis Rivera and Kosuke Heki

(Co-)sponsors: Geodesy, Seismology, Tectonophysics, Mineral and Rock Physics

Web link:
http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2013/scientific-program/session-search/sessions/g024-the-extent-to-which-large-portions-of-major-faults-slip-both-seismically-and-aseismically-observations-and-implications-2/