[unav_all] AGU session on volcano monitoring

Poland, Michael mpoland at usgs.gov
Sat Jul 13 13:43:30 MDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

We would like to let you know about a Fall AGU session that may be of
interest to those of you who use geodetic tools to study active volcanoes.

V030. New insights into volcanic processes using novel monitoring strategies

Multidisciplinary volcano monitoring reveals signals associated with both
pre- and syn-eruptive volcanic activity. Interpretation of monitoring data
is critical for understanding the possible evolution of volcanic systems,
which in turn is crucial for hazard assessment. The continuous development
of ground-, airborne- and satellite-based monitoring techniques has
increased both the frequency of data collection and allowed close to
real-time data availability. This session will promote discussion of new
insights into volcanic processes and hazard assessment strategies provided
by novel, interdisciplinary monitoring and data processing techniques.

We encourage you to consider submitting an abstract to the session, and
look forward to interesting discussions at the conference that we hope will
have an impact on future volcano monitoring practices, procedures, and
interpretations!

See you at the meeting,

Peter Webley (University of Alaska, Fairbanks)
Christoph Kern (USGS - Cascades Volcano Observatory)
Ben Andrews (Smithsonian Institution)
Mike Poland (IUSGS - Hawaiian Volcano Observatory)