[unav_all] UNAVCO Science Workshop ** Save March 4-6, 2014 & Call for Sessions

Jaime Magliocca jmaglio at unavco.org
Tue Jun 18 11:32:18 MDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

Please mark March 4-6, 2014 on your calendars for the 2014 UNAVCO Science Workshop that will be held on the Front Range in Colorado (location TBD).

Registration, poster set-up, and a light reception will be held on the evening Monday the 3rd, and this could cap off an informally organized ski day if there is sufficient interest.  Technical sessions will take place Tuesday morning through Thursday afternoon.  The meeting will showcase scientific advances and opportunities in core areas of the UNAVCO community and in some emerging applications in the geosciences.  We are also planning for a great celebration of 30 years of enabling community science.

In planning this meeting, we would like to solicit your ideas for specific plenary session topics and speakers, as well as breakout sessions.  During the 3 days of the meeting, we will have plenary sessions, each with 3 or 4 invited speakers.  We will also have rooms available for breakout groups to meet to address important topics of interest to smaller subsets of the participants.  There will be an Ignite UNAVCO session, plenty of poster viewing time and, of course, a field trip.

Feel free to suggest plenary and breakout topics, conveners, and speakers for consideration - including speakers whose focus would be broader impact - educational or societal.

Some of the early ideas that have been kicked around include:
.         Coastal Subsidence and Sea Level Rise
.         Subduction zones - geodesy across the coastline
.         Glaciology
.         Sensing Anthropogenic Effects

Please also advise us if you are interested in convening a breakout session.  Suggestions should include the name of the convener, a few sentences describing the topic, and, if possible, a rough estimate of the number of attendees expected.  We will make another call later for the breakouts.

We would like to gather your suggestions no later than July 8, so that we can move forward with planning the meeting.  Please e-mail them to Jaime Magliocca:  magliocca at unavco.org, and she will forward them to the organizing committee.

We look forward to seeing you at the 2014 UNAVCO Science Workshop!

Many thanks,
Tim Melbourne

On behalf of the Organizing Committee:
Tim Melbourne, Central Washington University, Chair
Gerald Bawden, USGS
Erik Ivins, Jet Propulsion Laboratory - Caltech
Rowena Lohman, Cornell University & UNAVCO Board
Meghan Miller, UNAVCO President