[unav_all] IRIS Seismology Webinar - Under the Sea: Ocean Bottom Seismology for Landlubbers

Andy Frassetto andyf at iris.edu
Fri Mar 8 12:43:46 MST 2013

The next IRIS-sponsored webinar will present "Under the Sea: Ocean
Bottom Seismology for Landlubbers" on Wednesday March 13, 2013 from 3-4
pm EDT.

Register to attend, here:
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/283212282. You will then receive a
confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. The
presentation and subsequent Q&A session with the speaker will be
recorded and available for viewing within a few days. More information
on IRIS webinars, including links to previously recorded presentations
and related materials, may be found here: http://www.iris.edu/hq/webinar/

Presenter: Dr. Doug Wiens, Washington University in St. Louis -
Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences

to the 30% of the Earth’s surface that lies above sea level.
Technological advances over the last several decades now allow retrieval
of passive seismic data from the seafloor using ocean bottom
seismographs (OBS). However, the ocean bottom environment presents
additional challenges for seismic data collection and analysis,
including limitations on recording duration, different noise
characteristics, siting and instrument orientation issues, and timing
uncertainties.

In this webinar, I will briefly describe OBS instrumentation and discuss
how we attempt to mitigate some of the difficulties in collecting high
quality passive seismic data in the oceans. I will describe the basic
steps needed to design, propose and carry out an OBS deployment using
the US National OBS Instrumentation Pool, now managed by IRIS with NSF
funding. The application of traditional seismic analysis methods, such
as surface and body wave tomography, noise correlation, receiver
functions, and shear wave splitting to OBS data will be discussed.
Finally I will close by showing results from ocean bottom seismograph
experiments for several different environments, including mid-ocean
ridges, transform faults, and subduction zones.

You may contact Andy Frassetto (andyf at iris.edu) with any related inquiries.

System Requirements
PC-based attendees
Required: Windows® 7, 8, Vista, XP or 2003 Server
Macintosh®-based attendees
Required: Mac OS® X 10.5 or newer