[unav_all] IRIS Seismology Webinar: Body-wave seismic interferometry - Data mining from distant seismicity

Andy Frassetto andyf at iris.edu
Tue Mar 19 09:08:36 MDT 2013

The next IRIS/EarthScope Transportable Array sponsored webinar will
present "Body-wave seismic interferometry - Data mining from distant
seismicity" on Thursday, March 28 2013 from 2:30-3:30 pm EDT.

Register to attend, here:
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/237576922. You will then receive a
confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. The
presentation and subsequent Q&A session with the speaker will be
recorded and available for viewing within a few days. More information
on IRIS webinars, including links to previously recorded presentations
and related materials, may be found here: http://www.iris.edu/hq/webinar/

Presenter: Dr. Elmer Ruigrok, Delft University of Technology

With the near completion of the contiguous USArray, a rich dataset is
becoming available to image a large part of the North American continent
in 3D. The seismic-receiver distribution is excellent for deep
reflection imaging. However, the biased distribution of nearby
seismicity prevents a straightforward application. Instead, distant
seismicity can be used together with body-wave seismic interferometry.
With seismic interferometry, reflections are extracted from the
reverberations in transmission responses. This allows the creation of
reflection responses as if there were large seismic sources at the
positions of the USArray stations. The extracted reflections can be
further processed into sharp reflectivity images.

In this presentation, we explain the basics of body-wave seismic
interferometry. Using data from several arrays around the world, we give
examples of field applications on global and lithospheric scale. The
application of body-wave seismic interferometry to USArray data is still
in its infancy. Yet, we will show recent progress and a possible way
forward.

You may contact Andy Frassetto (andyf at iris.edu) with any related inquiries.

System Requirements
PC-based attendees
Required: Windows® 7, 8, Vista, XP or 2003 Server
Macintosh®-based attendees
Required: Mac OS® X 10.5 or newer