[unav_all] Request for pictures and stories for UNAVCO's 30th celebration

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Thu Feb 27 08:28:08 MST 2014

Dear UNAVCO Community Members and Science Workshop 2014 Participants,

We are looking forward to seeing many of you in Boulder next week....   We are particularly excited about the planned celebration of UNAVO's 30th year, since UNAVCO’s inception in 1984.

We are calling this Celebrating 30 Years of Geodesy Innovation for Science.   We seek your help to ensure that we accurately capture this history. A questionnaire is available online so that you can contribute your reflections, stories pictures, and comments, either before, during or after the workshop.

Some photos dating as far back as 1985 are posted at UNAVCO’s smugmug. We’d loved to get a more complete collection to fill out our history and timelines. You can submit photos and feedback via the questionnaire or email them to Linda Rowan (rowan at unavco.org), who is leading the history project.  Please also review the draft timelines for UNAVCO history that are available for viewing via a public dropbox:

People timeline

Collaborations timeline

If you were an early adopter of GPS (TI 4100 vintage), we especially need your stories and pictures.   UNAVCO is donating its first generation TI 4100 GPS receiver to the Smithsonian. The curator for the Time and Navigation exhibit at the Air & Space Museum will also be attending the workshop! Some pictures and interviews with early receiver users and distinguished researchers are posted at UNAVCO History on Youtube.   The receiver will be on display at the workshop and we’d like to capture more stories about the early days.   If you are willing to be interviewed, please let Linda know.

And last of all, if you expressed interest in presenting at the Ignite session and are not signed up, please email Linda  (rowan at unavco.org). We have an excellent line-up of speakers and it should be a great evening.  We can accommodate a few more, so let us know if you are interested.

These and other announcements will be posted on the workshop webpage and sent out via @UNAVCO.

For all those tweeters out there, please use #UNAVCO14 to tweet about the workshop.

Best,

meghan at unavco.org

http://www.unavco.org/community/policies_forms/acknowledgment.html