[unav_all] AGU session: Science and Societal Lessons from a Decade of Giant Megathrust Earthquakes

Aron Meltzner meltzner at gps.caltech.edu
Wed Jul 2 13:55:22 MDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to bring to your attention our AGU session, Science and Societal Lessons from a Decade of Giant Megathrust Earthquakes, which aims to bring together seismologists, geologists, geodesists, modelers, and social scientists, to explore what we've learned in the time since the Indian Ocean region was devastated by an unanticipated earthquake and tsunami, ten years ago.

This year's AGU Fall Meeting, in San Francisco, will be held 15-19 December.  The abstract submission deadline is 06 August, 11:59 pm EDT.

Session Description:

The 2004 moment magnitude (Mw) 9.1 Sumatra-Andaman earthquake and Indian Ocean tsunami spurred scientific studies, international concerns, and societal responses to giant subduction zone earthquakes and their aftermath.  In the following decade, subduction zones around the world shot off in a spate of giant earthquakes (magnitude greater than 8.5), including in Chile (Maule, 2010, Mw 8.8) and Japan (Tohoku, 2011, Mw 9.0), further heightening hazard concerns and providing unprecedented opportunities for scientific investigations.

Now, ten years after the 2004 Sumatran-Andaman earthquake that made 'tsunami' a globally-recognized household word, we seek presentations on both scientific advancements and lessons learned from the series of recent giant earthquakes, tsunamis and their effects.  What have we learned about earthquake and tsunami physics, event recurrence, and future potential?  What have we learned about societal vulnerability and possible risk mitigation strategies?  We welcome contributions from earth science, social science, and risk-reduction practice.

Abstract Submission:

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm14/webprogrampreliminary/Session1856.html

Primary Section/Focus Group:

S - Seismology

Co-Sponsors:

G - Geodesy
NH - Natural Hazards
SI - Societal Impacts and Policy Sciences
T - Tectonophysics

Conveners:

Andrew Newman, School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech
Lujia Feng, Earth Observatory of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University
Jamie McCaughey, Earth Observatory of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University
Aron Meltzner, Earth Observatory of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University

We hope you will consider submitting a abstract.

Sincerely,
Andrew, Lujia, Jamie, and Aron