[unav_all] AGU Session # 1805 The Earthquake Cycle: Linking observations Geodesy. Topography, Paleoseismiology

John Elliott john.elliott at earth.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 31 09:59:30 MDT 2014

Dear All,

Please consider the following AGU session in the Tectonophysics section
when submitting you abstract in the next week:
The Earthquake Cycle: Linking observations from satellite geodesy, high
resolution topography and paleoseismology

We are pleased to have the following speakers for the session:
William Hammond
Katherine Scharer
Ingrid Johanson
Angela Landgraf

Kind regards,

John Elliott on behalf of Ryan Gold and Ed Nissen.

This session seeks to integrate paleoseismic, geomorphologic, and
geodetic datasets to provide a comprehensive understanding of the
earthquake cycle over a range of timescales. Drawing upon recent
advances in high-resolution topography, geochronology, and satellite
geodesy techniques, we will explore fault behavior using datasets that
span large temporal and spatial scales. We also seek to address the
constraints that surface observations can place on fault processes
occurring at depth. We particularly call for abstracts that combine
these various methods, and exemplify the merits of synergistic studies
using multi-scale and multi-technique based approaches. We welcome
contributions that (1) present new constraints on faulting rates, (2)
explore patterns of stable or temporally varying deformation rates, (3)
demonstrate the occurrence (or otherwise) of earthquake clustering or
characteristic earthquakes, and (4) establish the mechanisms controlling
these behaviors via observation and/or modeling.

Dr John Elliott
Post-Doctoral Research Associate
http://www.earth.ox.ac.uk/~johne/
http://oxford.academia.edu/JohnElliott
http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-8200-2011
Twitter: @jrelliott82

Centre for the Observation and Modelling
of Earthquakes, Volcanoes and Tectonics
(COMET+) http://comet.nerc.ac.uk/

Department of Earth Sciences
University of Oxford