[unav_all] Save the date - September 22 -24: PBO Futures Workshop

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Thu Jun 26 17:05:00 MDT 2014

Colleagues,

As most of you know,  the 2013 initiation of UNAVCO's new five-year GAGE cooperative agreement coincided with the deleterious impact of sequestration on NSF budgets.  Despite excellent reviews of scope, budget, and management plans in the GAGE proposal, UNAVCO's core funding was much reduced from sponsor guidance, the proposal plan, and historical levels.   In consultation with governance, we took a number of steps that have allowed us to keep within a revised plan for GAGE year one.   While GAGE was authorized for the full five-year request, the first year award was 20% below the prosed level and we anticipate flat funding, at least in the near term.

Because the EarthScope Plate Boundary Observatory is a key part of UNAVCO's work, we need a community-informed plan for both the near term and five-year future of the PBO networks.   Towards this end, the board has asked the Geodetic Infrastructure Advisory Committee and the PBO Working Group to work with the GI Director, Glen Mattioli, to plan a small workshop.

NSF has recently funded UNAVCO to convene a workshop, planned for September 22 - 24 in Breckenridge, Colorado, with the goal of updating the compelling science questions that PBO capabilities advance, and setting criteria for optimizing the network under anticipated funding constraints.   While this workshop is primarily focused on informing PBO management under the current 2013 - 2018 GAGE award, there will also be an eye to the future of PBO beyond the sunset of the original EarthScope 15-year plan.   The results of the workshop will help us set priorities and make decisions about investments in station upgrades, the terms of permit renewal, and decisions about long-term vs. short-term telecommunications solutions.

Given the pragmatic goals of the workshop, it will be relatively small with about 40 spots for science community invitees and applicants.   In the meantime, we hope that you will save these dates if you have a stake in the future of the Plate Boundary Observatory!

The organizing committee is in the process of finalizing the agenda, keynote speakers, a list of invited participants, and the application process.  Expect more details by early July.

Regards,

meghan at unavco.org

http://www.unavco.org/community/policies_forms/acknowledgment/acknowledgment.html
 Reply Reply AllMore