[unav_all] SSA2015 Slow Earthquakes Session

Christodoulos Kyriakopoulos christodoulos.kyriakopoulos at ucr.edu
Wed Nov 19 14:51:01 MST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to bring your attention to our SSA2015 Annual Meeting session "Slow Earthquakes: Diversity in Fault Motion and Their Implications in Earthquake Dynamics".

Session Description:

Earthquake faults show a variety of motion – from slow slip and associated tremor to supershear rupture. Slow earthquakes emerge as a major player in releasing and redistributing stress over much of the seismic cycles. They are observed globally over multiple spatial and temporal scales. A unifying theory connecting this diversity and its implications on the fault dynamics, however, remains elusive. Moreover, the factors (fault properties, rheology, frictional and material heterogeneity etc.) controlling varied fault slip behaviors and their interplay are poorly understood. We invite abstracts that highlight different aspects of this broad spectrum of fault slip including, but not limited to, slow earthquakes and associated phenomena. We are interested in slow earthquakes in all forms and sizes – from episodic tremor and slip in the subduction zones to seismic swarms operating in smaller scales. Studies encompassing multiple styles of fault slip (slow and fast) and their interactions in space and time are encouraged. We solicit new observations and analyses from all tectonic settings using seismology, geodesy, numerical simulations, laboratory and field experiments.

We would like to thank you in advance for your attention.

Sincerely,

Abhijit Ghosh (UCR), Christos Kyriakopoulos (UCR) and Hongfeng Yang (CUHK), Session Chairs

Dr. Christodoulos Kyriakopoulos
Post-Doc Research Fellow
Department of Earth Sciences
University of California, Riverside