[unav_all] INVITATION: Submissions to Geodesy/Geophysics/EOS and natural disasters Session, The World Multidisciplinary Earth Sciences Symposium WMESS 2015 (www.mess-earth.org), Prague (Czech Republic), 7-11 September 2015

Jamie Magliocca magliocca at unavco.org
Tue Oct 14 10:29:41 MDT 2014

Dear colleague,

The World Multidisciplinary Earth Sciences Symposium WMESS 2015 (www.mess-earth.org) will be held in Prague (Czech Republic) during 7-11 September 2015 and aims to provide a forum for discussion of the latest findings and technologies in different fields of Earth Sciences and give opportunities for future collaborations.

We are writing to invite you to submit an abstract to the session "Geodetic, geological and geophysical methods to monitor ground motions for forecasting and mitigating natural disasters".

Session Description:  Despite the political and military origins of many of the important Earth's observing systems including radar technologies and space geodetic observation techniques, e. g., InSAR, GNSS, DORIS, SLR/LLR, VLBI etc., these systems benefit citizens by giving precise ways to measure the scientific, social, economic, strategic and meteorological challenges that we constantly face on our blue planet. Such challenges include, among others, security of mobility, mapping and monitoring the store of natural resources, climate change, and the mitigation and forecasting of natural disasters. This session will focus on how ground positions and motions derived through satellite-based data and allied methods (geodetic, geological, geophysical) are being used to resolve such challenges. The session will be centered around how space geodetic observation techniques and/or radar technologies and allied methods (e.g., geodetic and teleseismic source models, earthquake slip distributions, elastic and viscous modeling, paleoseismology) are applied to study and interpret natural disasters such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, glacial surges, etc. Presentations however can focus more broadly on specific issues (events, places, problems, etc.), and/or can cover data processing for navigation and positioning (e.g., standard, near real-time, real-time modes, real-time PPP - Precise Point Positioning).

To submit an abstract please create an account using link for author-registration at http://mess-earth.org/registration.html . The text submission should be conducted using the link "Abstract Submission".

Apologies if you received our messages more than once.

Conveners: Yüksel Altiner (yueksel.altiner at bkg.bund.de), John Weber (weberj at gvsu.edu).