[unav_all] EGU Session: Monitoring and modelling of geodynamics and crustal deformation: progress during 34 years of the WEGENER initiative

Haluk Ozener ozener at boun.edu.tr
Fri Oct 24 07:44:31 MDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce Session G3.5/GD7.9/SM6.5/TS8.8 - Monitoring and
modelling of geodynamics and crustal deformation: progress during 34 years
of the WEGENER initiative at the EGU General Assembly 2015 on Sunday, 12
April - Friday, 17 April 2015 in Vienna, Austria.

Link:  <http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2015/session/18028>
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2015/session/18028

----------

Session G3.5/GD7.9/SM6.5/TS8.8 - Monitoring and modelling of geodynamics and
crustal deformation: progress during 34 years of the WEGENER initiative:

The processes of the Earth deformation can be revealed by means of diverse
methods of investigations. The seasonal distribution of surface loading, the
earthquake cycle, volcanic processes (eruptions, dike intrusions, induced
seismic activity), near surface motions (landslides, induced and natural
superficial subsidence/collapse).

Recently, major earthquakes in Sumatra (2004, Mw 9.2), Maule (2010, Mw 8.8),
Haiti (2010, Mw 7.1) and Tohoku (2011, Mw 9.0) have exposed the impact of
such events and the need for better understanding of Earth deformation
processes. These events illustrate the geodynamic complexities that include
subduction zones and giant earthquakes, continental faults and depth versus
surface deformation, the seismic cycle and seismotectonics of active zones,
magmatism processes and crustal deformation. The observation techniques,
methods and data analysis need the Earth observation systems and reference
frames that include remote sensing and surface and satellite gravity
observations

This session is conducted in the frame of the WEGENER consortium*and we seek
submissions that emphasize multidisciplinary studies of Earth deformation
using geodetic techniques (GPS, InSAR, LiDAR, space/air/terrestrial gravity,
ground-based geodetic observations), complementary tectonic and geophysical
observations, and modeling approaches focusing on the European-Mediterranean
and Northern African regions. We also welcome contributions discussing the
realization and outcomes of Supersites in the frame of the GEO initiative,
as well as fundamental studies of natural and induced physical phenomena,
strategies to develop early warning and rapid response systems.

*The World Earthquake GEodesy Network for Environmental Hazard Research
(Sub-commission 3.5 of IAG commission 3, namely Tectonics and Earthquake
Geodesy).

----------

This session is co-organized by Geodesy (G), Geodynamics (GD), Seismology
(SM) and Tectonics & Structural Geology (TS). We expect considerable and
diverse interest in the topic and we're looking forward to an enjoyable and
exciting session.

Please consider submitting an abstract for this Geodesy session.  Check the
meeting website for updates, and complete submission policies:
<http://www.egu2015.eu/> http://www.egu2015.eu/

Please note - the deadline for abstracts is 7 January 2015, so please plan
accordingly and submit your abstract soon.

This session will be scheduled by EGU as either oral or poster or both,
depending on the number and quality of the abstracts submitted.  Authors
will be informed in February regarding the date and format (oral or poster)
of their paper.

We look forward to hearing from you and thank you for considering this
opportunity to share your research and applications insights.  Please
forgive us if you receive multiple postings as we are seeking to distribute
this announcement broadly to reach as many disciplines as appropriate.

Haluk Ozener

Bogazici University, KOERI

 <mailto:ozener at boun.edu.tr> ozener at boun.edu.tr

Susanna Zerbini