[unav_all] "new" signals

Kristine Larson kristinem.larson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 13:50:00 MDT 2015

Greetings all,

For those of you who operate GPS networks, I would like to
encourage you to enable tracking of new GPS signals at your sites,
specifically
L2C and L5.  When I first started working with the L2C data, there were
only a few satellites that transmitted it, and I understood why most
network operators preferred to stay with the L2P signal.
However, we now have a GPS constellation with 16 L2C-enabled satellites.
There are also a large number of L5 transmitting satellites.  New
receivers can easily track GPS, Glonass, and Galileo, and
both L2C and L2P.  These new GNSS
signals will enable better positioning and can also be used for
environmental remote sensing (http://xenon.colorado.edu/portal),
volcanic ash sensing, and tidal measurements.

If you have any questions about these new signals for environmental
sensing, please feel free to send me an email.

Kristine
--
Kristine M. Larson
Professor of Aerospace Engineering Sciences

University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0429

PBO H2O: http://xenon.colorado.edu/portal
phone: 303 492-6583