[unav_all] Fall 2015 AGU: Session T034 - Caribbean Tectonics!

Alberto Lopez alberto.lopez3 at upr.edu
Tue Aug 4 15:50:19 MDT 2015

Dear Colleagues:

This message is for those interested in Caribbean Plate tectonics and evolution.
Please consider submitting your abstract before 23:59 EST tomorrow August 5, 2015.
We have a very interesting session with invited speakers:
Eric Calais, Paul Mann, Alan Levander and Rob Govers.

You can submit the abstract directly to the session through this link: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/preliminaryview.cgi/Session7814

Here are the Session details:

Title: New Insights into the Active Deformation and Tectonic Evolution of the Caribbean Plate
Number: T034 (ID#: 7814)

This session seeks to discuss the current state of knowledge of Caribbean plate geodynamics, kinematics and tectonic evolution. Recent studies have quantified how strain is accommodated along the plate boundary, have been able to better constraint geological hazards, and have postulated new models to explain its tectonic evolution. The Caribbean Plate is tectonically active with subduction zones, volcanism, and transpressional zones that produce large seismic and volcanic hazards. The densification of seismic and geodetic instrumentation, capacity building, international collaborations, and collection of new data sets during the past decade are improving our understanding of the Caribbean plate. We seek contributions that use geophysical (seismic, geodetic, remote sensing), numerical and/or analog modeling, and geological techniques to understand strain accommodation along active faults, earthquake, tsunami and volcanic hazards, subduction processes, deformation history, and plate kinematics. This session also encourages contributions on future research directions on tectonics of the Caribbean Plate.

Sincerely,

Daniel A. Laó-Dávila
Oklahoma State University

Alberto M. López