[unav_all] GSA Session T60: An Updated View on Caribbean Tectonics

Andrew Newman anewman at gatech.edu
Fri Aug 7 12:02:10 MDT 2015

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite submissions to our co-organized session on the
tectonics of the Caribbean at this year's GSA Annual Meeting:

"T60. An Updated View on Caribbean Tectonics"

Session Description:
The Caribbean-Central American region is located in an intriguing
tectonic area. Here, the Caribbean plate is bounded to the east and west
by opposing subduction zones, to the north by a strike-slip and
extensional boundary, and to the south by an irregular and quite
complicated mix of strike-slip and possibly subduction. With this
session, we aim to bring together recent geologic and geophysical
observations to provide an updated large-scale tectonic configuration of
the region and examine processes from mantle flow, to tectonic and
earthquake cycle behavior, to the timing of the closing of the Panama
isthmus. We welcome contributions from seismology, geology, volcanology,
geodesy, geodynamics and related disciplines to provide an integrated
and updated synthesis of the region.

Confirmed Invited Presenters:
Don Fisher (Pennsylvania State University)
Laurel Collins (Florida International University)
Peter Lafemina (Pennsylvania State University)

Please submit abstracts by August 11th, to
http://www.geosociety.org/meetings/2015/sessions/topical.asp

On behalf of the Organizers,

Margarete Jadamec (University of Houston)
Kevin Burke (University of Houston)
Andrew Newman (Georgia Institute of Technology)

--
Andrew V. Newman                anewman at gatech.edu
Associate Professor
School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Georgia Institute of Technology
311 Ferst Drive               Office: 404-894-3976
ES&T, Room 2254                  Lab: 404-385-2050
Atlanta, GA, 30332-0340          Fax: 404-894-5638
http://geophysics.eas.gatech.edu/anewman