[unav_all] General project support, MRI deadline (1/13), and NSF 16-1 PAPPG

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Thu Dec 3 10:01:12 MST 2015

UNAVCO Community,

This message provides a reminder of the upcoming MRI deadline in January, as well as information to request project support for any proposal or project.  If you are interested in UNAVCO support for an MRI submission, please note the need for advance planning below.   We can be most helpful if we can inform your planning for a proposal for any project, rather than retroactively learning of your requirements and schedule.

(1) General proposal calls and requesting proposal / budget planning, letters of support (http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_list.jsp?ord=date&org=NSF&sel_org=GEO&status=1&x=0&y=0 <http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_list.jsp?ord=date&org=NSF&sel_org=GEO&status=1&x=0&y=0>; http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_list.jsp?ord=date&org=NSF&sel_org=XCUT&status=1&x=0&y=0 <http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_list.jsp?ord=date&org=NSF&sel_org=XCUT&status=1&x=0&y=0>)
This is a reminder that proposal deadlines and target dates for a number of funding opportunities. We encourage you to contact us as soon as possible if you are planning to include UNAVCO project support in your upcoming proposals, or if you want help planning instrument deployments, data acquisition, or broader impacts.  UNAVCO can assist you with technical planning and budgeting of engineering and equipment support services for proposals submitted to relevant programs within the National Science Foundation Directorate for Geosciences.  Project types include GPS/GNSS, Borehole Geophysics, Geodetic Imaging (LiDAR and InSAR), and Education and Outreach.

Please note expanded UNAVCO services including daily solutions for your GPS observations provided from the Plate Boundary Observatory (PBO) Analysis and Solution Coordination Centers, real-time GPS streaming data and data solution products, an expanded state-of-the-art terrestrial laser scanning (TLS) pool, borehole geophysics (strainmeters*/seismometers/tiltmeters), satellite InSAR data, ground control for airborne laser scanning in collaboration with NCALM, power and communications systems for extreme environments, and cyberinfrastructure development.  Contact us to help plan for these

UNAVCO also helps investigators plan for broader impact through independent and UNAVCO-related projects including workshops, short courses, mentoring of RESESS interns, and other outreach activities.

Project support, including proposal planning assistance, may be requested through our web site at: http://achaia.unavco.org/public/newproject/supportform.aspx <http://achaia.unavco.org/public/newproject/supportform.aspx>

(2) Partnering with UNAVCO for Major Research Instrumentation proposals - full proposals due January 13
http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=5260&org=NSF&sel_org=XCUT&from=fund <http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=5260&org=NSF&sel_org=XCUT&from=fund>

The NSF posting for the Major Research Instrumentation (MRI) program, call 15-504, continues from 2015.   The proposal deadline is January 13, 2016.   If you are considering using UNAVCO resources for an MRI submission, we are asking for your early consideration of the following guidance.  Depending on proposal pressure and the level of support requested, board review may be needed to establish priority for UNAVCO participation.

If you are interested in submitting an MRI proposal with UNAVCO in January 2016, there are a few paths forward:
 As for universities, UNAVCO can submit up to the organizational limit of three MRI proposals (or subawards, with the caveats below) if at least one of them is for instrument development, although we are not planning to lead one for instrument development at this point.

Note the stipulation that:
Subawards may be included in development proposals but not in acquisition proposals unless the submitting organization is a non-Ph.D. granting institution of higher education.
1. Subaward option 1:   Submission of an MRI - Instrument Development proposal with the work by UNAVCO included as less than 20% of the total budget in the form of a subaward.  In such a case, UNAVCO participation would not count against UNAVCO's organizational limit of 3.  UNAVCO is not in a position to contribute to any cost share requirement, as our sources of non-federal funds are quite limited.  For such a project, support can be requested on the “Request Support” link at:  http://www.unavco.org/projects/projects.html <http://facility.unavco.org/project_support/project_support.html>

2.  Subaward option 2:    UNAVCO can participate as a subawardee on any instrumentation development proposal from a Ph.D.-granting institution, up to UNAVCO's institutional limit.   Again, UNAVCO is unlikely to be able to contribute to the 30% cost share requirement, so the match would need to be made by other collaborators.

3.  Subaward option 3:  For non-Ph.D.-granting academic institutions, UNAVCO can participate as a subaward on any MRI proposal, up to UNAVCO's institutional limit.   These institutions are exempt from the cost-share requirement.

UNAVCO-led proposals.
4.  UNAVCO submission of an MRI proposal on behalf of, or in collaboration with, member institutions.  Because UNAVCO is subject to the cost share requirement, and yet has only negligible non-federal sources for matching funds, this option requires a plan to meet the 30% cost share requirement with non-federal (e.g., non-UNAVCO) resources.

When UNAVCO leads, remember that a university may contribute to meeting UNAVCO's cost share without counting the UNAVCO submission against the university's organizational limit, as long as the university is not receiving a related award or subaward (or the subaward is less than 20% of an Instrument Development proposal).  Real and in-kind contributions of international or commercial partners can also meet the cost sharing requirement.

For 2016:
If you are submitting an MRI for 2016 and want UNAVCO support through a subaward, please let me know soon so that we can anticipate any conflicts.

We have typically requested the following information so that the board  can prioritize if interest exceeds capacity:
1.  Preliminary project summary with science goals, and a description of intellectual merit and broader impacts.
2.  Draft project budget
3.  A short memorandum that addresses these questions (not more than 1 page):
	A.  How does the project align with UNAVCO's mission and goals?
			http://www.unavco.org/pubs_reports/strategic_plan/strategic-plan.html <http://www.unavco.org/pubs_reports/strategic_plan/strategic-plan.html>
	B.  How will the proposed project serve the UNAVCO Community?
	C.  What is the plan/commitment to meet the match requirement?
	D.  How mature is the concept?  Is the project feasible?
	E.  What NSF program will the project serve (EAR, OPP, AGS, etc….)?

If you have any questions about an MRI or any other submission, please call or flag me - or a UNAVCO Director - at AGU so that we can talk about the best way to move projects forward (deadlines below).

(3) The 2016 NSF Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (PAPPG, NSF 16-1) becomes effective in January, 2016 and is currently available in draft form (http://www.nsf.gov/bfa/dias/policy/papp/pappg16_1/fedreg/draftpappg_may2016.pdf).
The uniform guidance for federal awards across all agencies (so-called Super Circular) has led to revisions to proposal and award administration requirements for NSF (Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide or PAPPG cited above).  Any submission must meet the requirements of the new circular, and for as well as those specific to the MRI program http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=5260&org=NSF&sel_org=XCUT&from=fund

Let us know how we can best support your project needs going forward.

The Project Support Request form is also a good place to start:  http://achaia.unavco.org/public/newproject/supportform.aspx <http://achaia.unavco.org/public/newproject/supportform.aspx>

Best,

meghan at unavco.org <mailto:meghan at unavco.org>

http://www.unavco.org/community/policies_forms/acknowledgment.html

Upcoming Deadlines and Target Dates:
You can find the full list of active GEO funding opportunities here:
http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_list.jsp?ord=date&org=NSF&sel_org=GEO&status=1&x=0&y=0

You can find the full list of Crosscutting and NSF-wide funding opportunities here:
http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_list.jsp?ord=date&org=NSF&sel_org=XCUT&status=1&x=0&y=0