[unav_all] AGU Fall 2015 Session ID #9109: Earthquake Source studies: Finite-fault inversion, modeling, data assimilation

Chen Ji ji at geol.ucsb.edu
Fri Jul 31 14:14:40 MDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

The AGU abstract submission deadline is next Wednesday (August 5th). For anyone who is planning to submit an abstract, we wish to draw your attention to session S005 "Earthquake Source studies: Finite-fault inversion, modeling, data assimilation".

Session Description:

Earthquake source modeling using analytic solutions, numerical models, kinematic inversion and dynamic simulations enhances our understanding of fault mechanics and earthquake rupture processes. Seismic and geodetic instrumentation provide large data volumes to constrain earthquake source kinematics. Forward modeling, combined with data assimilation and inverse techniques, help to image earthquake sources, and to thus better understand coseismic properties and their relation to inter- and post- seismic phases.

This session discusses new approaches and latest findings in kinematic inversion and dynamic rupture modeling. We invite contributions covering rigorous uncertainty quantification and studies showing how uncertainties in the kinematic source representation affect interpretations relevant to post- and inter-seismic processes, dynamic rupture models, and ground motion simulation. We also solicit research related to the source inversion validation (SIV) benchmarks, as well as contributions from laboratory experiments that present ground-truth source measurements through innovative instrumentation and provide theoretical background for interpreting observations of natural faulting.

Invited speakers

Zacharie Duputel (IPGS - EOST, CNRS and Université de Strasbourg, France)

Frantisek Gallovic (Charles University, Czech Republic)

Alessio Piatanesi (INGV, Italy)

Yuji Yagi (University of Tsukuba, Japan)
Conveners

Paul Martin Mai, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology

Lifeng Wang, China Earthquake Networks Center

Jan Dettmer, University of Victoria

Chen Ji, University of California, Santa Barbara