[unav_all] IRIS WEBINAR: A Global Surge of Great Earthquakes and What We are Learning From Them - 6/22, 2 PM Eastern

Andy Frassetto andyf at iris.edu
Wed Jun 17 20:08:31 MDT 2015

Please register for “A Global Surge of Great Earthquakes and What We are
Learning From Them“ on June 22, 2015 2:00 PM EDT at:
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8406341806184217090

Presenter: Thorne Lay, University of California, Santa Cruz

Abstract: During the decade 2004-2014, 18 huge earthquakes with seismic
magnitudes larger than 8.0 struck around the world, sometimes causing
horrendous destruction and loss of life. The annual rate of such events
was 2.5 times greater than had been experienced over the previous
century of seismological observations. Deployment of global networks of
very high-quality seismic, geodetic, and tsunami recording systems had
preceded most of these events, allowing unprecedented signals to be
recorded for these great earthquakes.

Geophysicists have analyzed the recorded waves and ground motions to
determine details of each earthquake, advancing our understanding of
these dangerous events. Most of the earthquakes have involved surprises,
rapidly revising scientific ideas about the behavior of huge fault
ruptures and indicating the need for improved mitigation efforts.

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information on how to attend. Please note that the webinar software
limits attendance to 100 participants; join the webinar early in case it
is oversubscribed. Recordings are typically posted shortly afterwards
at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD4D607C2FA317E6D