[unav_all] EarthScope National Meeting - June 14 - 16

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Mon May 18 11:56:44 MDT 2015

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the ES National Office.....    There is still capacity at the upcoming  EarthScope National Meeting!

Best,

There is still time to register and join us for the EarthScope National meeting!
http://www.iris.edu/hq/workshops/2015/06/earthscope_national_meeting_2015

We have extended the hotel reservation deadline until May 20.

We have a great program lined up; this is a meeting not to miss. Submit an abstract by May 29; we will choose a few to give talks.

Here is a video invitation and overview: http://youtu.be/9DKUi_M6IQw

See the full agenda at the web site (http://www.iris.edu/hq/workshops/2015/06/earthscope_national_meeting_2015), but here is a summary:

Sunday, June 14
·         Field trip (optional) to see amazing geology and scenery of Vermont and discuss with colleagues.
·         Strainmeter short course

Monday, June 15
Plenary 1: Dynamics and Evolution of the North American Continent: Crust, Lithosphere, and Deep Mantle
The dynamics and evolution of the North American continent represent prime science targets for EarthScope. This session highlights new geological and geophysical constraints on the North American crust, lithosphere, and deep mantle. Topics include the architecture and history of North American terrane accretion, dynamics of the deep mantle and interactions with the overlying lithosphere, the tectonics of rifting in regions such as the mid-continent and the passive continental margin, and opportunities for place-based education.

Plenary Talks
·         Steve Semken, Arizona State University: EarthScope's Contributions to the Practice of Place-Based Geoscience Education
·         Scott Burdick, University of Maryland: Global Traveltime Tomography with Transportable Array Data
·         Seth Stein, Northwestern University: The Midcontinent Rift: where rift met LIP

Short Talks (Invited; we will also select a few from contributed abstracts)
·         Esteban Gazel, Virginia Tech: The Youngest (~48 Ma) Magmatic Event in Eastern North America
·         Esteban Bowles-Martinez, Oregon State University: Continental Core and Margin Conductivity Structure; Cascadia to Great Plains, MCR and Keweenaw Hot Spot

Plenary 2: From Groundwater to the Ionosphere
One of the exciting developments to come out of EarthScope has been the use of PBO, TA, and FA data to investigate a variety of atmospheric and non-tectonic near surface phenomena.  This session will highlight studies that use seismic, GPS, MT, and infrasound data to examine processes in the hydrosphere, cryosphere, and atmosphere and explore future possibilities of the datasets.

Plenary Talks
·         Michael Hedlin, University of California San Diego: Study of Atmospheric Gravity Waves and Infrasonic Sources Using the USArray Transportable Array Pressure Date
·         Adrian Borsa, University of California San Diego: Fear and Loading in Las Vegas: What the Plate Boundary Observatory Can Tell Us About Water Resources in the Western United States
·         Tim Bartholomaus, University of Texas at Austin: Understanding the Processes Driving Glacier Change with Alaskan Seismic and GPS Data

Short Talks (Invited; we will also select a few from contributed abstracts)
·         Alexander Jacques, University of Utah: Collection, Dissemination, and Analysis of USArray Transportable Array Surface Pressure Observatins within the Atmospheric Science Community

Monday's breakout discussions:
A Alaska deployments: science, outreach and logistics coordination
B GeoPrisms/EarthScope/Amphibious Array
C Cyberinfrastructure/EarthCube/Web services
D 4D-Earth Initiative: A Community Geologic Model and New Scientific Initiative for the 4D Evolution of the North American Continent

Tuesday, June 16

Plenary 3: Active Tectonics and Modern Earth Processes of North America
Earthscope and related scientific initiatives have led to significant advancements in our understanding of tectonic and surface processes and fault mechanics.  This session encompasses advances made in understanding active processes within deforming regions of North America.  We welcome contributions employing a wide range of instrumentation and methods, including laboratory and field-based studies.

Plenary Talks
·         Christine Powell, University of Memphis (CERI): Evolution of the Continent: Insights from Intraplate Seismic Zones
·         Bill Hammond, University of Nevada, Reno: GPS imaging of solid Earth flex and flow using EarthScope networks
·         Amanda Thomas, Stanford University: Source Properties of Low-Frequency Earthquakes in Parkfield and Cascadia
·         Rachel Abercrombie, Boston University: Source physics and stress drops of micro earthquakes drawing from SAFOD data (tentative title)

Short Talks (Invited; we will also select a few from contributed abstracts)
·         Melodie French, University of Memphis: Strength and Deformation Processes of SAFOD Gouge Deformed at Creep to Co-Seismic Rates
·         Sally McGill, California State University, San Bernardino: Distribution of slip across the Pacific-North America plate boundary in the vicinity of the San Bernardino Mountains, California: Results from 12 years of GPS observations

Plenary 4: Advances in Understanding and Forecasting Hazards
Earthscope’s tools, including SAFOD, PBO, and USArray, and the increasing availability of real-time data have given us an unprecedented amount of new