[unav_all] Comment now on impacts of the proposed closure of a number of CORS sites nationwide

Jeff Freymueller jfreymueller at alaska.edu
Tue Nov 10 12:21:35 MST 2015

The US Coast Guard is proposing to close a substantial number of the NDGPS sites that it has operated for almost 20 years, and also some additional sites operated by the Army Corps of Engineers. There is a Federal Register notice asking for public comments, and the comment period closes November 16. It is my understanding that the number of comments received is important and will carry significant weight, so if you use data or data products from any of these sites I suggest you take the time to submit a comment. You can find the full description and a link to the comments page at the link below:

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=DOT-OST-2015-0105-0001 <http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=DOT-OST-2015-0105-0001>

It appears that the Coast Guard wants to shut off these sites because they do not see many users of the broadcast DGPS service (although there are some, and some have commented). Most likely nobody in our community uses the NDGPS broadcast signal, but we do use the GPS data recorded and so many comments have focused on the value of long-term dat from these CORS sites for science, for land surveying and mapping applications. Even a short comment that helps make it clear that there are many users of these data may help.

A couple of other useful links are given below, along with the list of sites. Many of these are included in UNAVCO’s GAGE solution, so if you use the GAGE solution in the areas affected, you are using these data.

Reminder: comments must be received on or before November 16th. I don’t know what the cutoff time is.

Jeff

The link with instructions for comments is here:
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/08/18/2015-20401/nationwide-differential-global-positioning-system-ndgps#addresses <https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/08/18/2015-20401/nationwide-differential-global-positioning-system-ndgps#addresses>

The link for more information regarding the DGPS system is here:
http://navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=CurrentCoverage <http://navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=CurrentCoverage>

The specific sites to be disestablished are:

Maritime Sites:

Appleton, WA
Biorka, AK
Bobo, MS
Brunswick, ME
Cape Hinchinbrook, AK
Cheboygan, MI
Cold Bay, AK
Driver, VA
Eglin, FL
Gustavus, AK
Isabela, PR
Key West, FL
Kodiak, AK
Kokole Point, HI
Level Island, AK
Lompoc, CA
Mequon, MI
New Bern, NC
Penobscot, ME
Pigeon Point, CA
Robinson Pt, WA
Saginaw, MI
Sandy Hook, NJ
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Upper Keweenaw, MI
Wisconsin Point, WI
Youngstown, NY
Inland Sites:

Albuquerque, NM
Austin, NV
Bakersfield, CA
Billings, MT
Chico, CA
Clark, SD
Dandridge, TN
Essex, CA
Flagstaff, AZ
Greensboro, NC
Hackleburg, AL
Hagerstown, MD
Hartsville, TN
Hawk Run, PA
Hudson Falls, NY
Klamath Falls, OR
Macon, GA
Medora, ND
Myton, UT
Pine River, MN
Polson, MT
Pueblo, CO
Savannah, GA
Seneca, OR
Spokane, WA
St. Marys, WV
Summerfield, TX
Topeka, KS
Whitney, NE
Inland Sites operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers:

Louisville, KY
Millers Ferry, AL
Rock Island, IA
Sallisaw, OK
St. Louis, MO
St. Paul (Alma), MN

Dr. Jeffrey T. Freymueller         Office: 907-474-7286
Geophysical Institute                Cell:   907-378-7556
University of Alaska, Fairbanks    Home:   907-479-3550
Fairbanks, AK 99775-7320           email: jfreymueller at alaska.edu <mailto:jfreymueller at alaska.edu>

Download Alaska GPS data: ftp://gps.alaska.edu/pub/gpsdata/ <ftp://gps.alaska.edu/pub/gpsdata/>