[unav_all] Solicitation for Nominations for the UNAVCO Board of Directors – DEADLINE 8/31/16
ramon.arrowsmith at asu.edu
Fri Aug 5 16:08:02 MDT 2016
This fall, UNAVCO will hold its annual elections for the Board of Directors and Nominating Committee. The Nominating Committee is soliciting nominations for potential candidates for both. We encourage all members of the UNAVCO community to send self-nominations or nominations of colleagues for the 2016 Board and/or Nominating Committee to the Nominating Committee chair (ramon.arrowsmith at asu.edu<mailto:ramon.arrowsmith at asu.edu>), and copied to Jaime Magliocca magliocca at unavco.org<mailto:magliocca at unavco.org>. The nomination deadline is August 31, 2016. Details regarding both are given below.
Nominees for Board of Directors:
This year there are openings for:
· Five (5) Board Members who are affiliated with UNAVCO Member Institutions. An institutional Board Member may be a Member Representative.
· Two (2) Board Members-at-Large. The Board Member-at-Large may be or may not be affiliated with a Member Institution, but cannot be a Member Representative.
Board Members serve a two-year term and are eligible for a second consecutive term before rotation.
A current list of Member Institutions is available at: http://www.unavco.org/community/membership/members/members.html
The six current Board members whose terms will expire are:
· Rebecca Bendick (University of Montana; Institutional representative)
· Peter La Femina (The Pennsylvania State University; Institutional representative)
· Eric Fielding (Jet Propulsion Laboratory; At-Large representative)
· Jeff Freymueller (University of Alaska; Institutional representative)
· Rowena Lohman (Cornell University; Institutional representative)
· John LaBrecque (IUGG GeoRisk Commission, At-Large representative)
John LaBrecque, Eric Fielding, and Jeff Freymueller are eligible for a second term, should they be nominated and willing.
The two Board members whose terms continue are:
· Chuck De Mets (University of Wisconsin, Madison; Institutional representative)
· Estelle Chaussard (State University of New York, Buffalo; At-Large representative)
US government employees may serve as “non-voting observers” on UNAVCO committees, but may not serve on the UNAVCO Board. Some who work at government labs (e.g., JPL) are employed by a university rather than the government and thus are eligible to serve. IRIS, for example, has similar restrictions.
UNAVCO seeks a candidate pool that reflects the diversity of the UNAVCO community. Thus, we request nominations that represent a diversity of disciplinary and social perspectives, as well as institutional diversity.
UNAVCO also seeks a board slate free of conflicts or apparent conflicts of interest, in light of the fiduciary responsibility of the board. This is best achieved by ensuring that board members are free of institutional award or subaward relationships that create competition against UNAVCO, or that may create an appearance of conflict or favoritism. Proposals and awards that are aligned with UNAVCO’s purpose, for instance to enhance facility support, community activities/workshops, and PI support, do not constitute a conflict.
2017 promises to be an important year as the NGEO competition review and awards will unfold.
Nominees for UNAVCO Nominating Committee: UNAVCO also seeks candidates for two Nominating Committee positions.
Incumbents whose terms are NOT expiring:
· Jack Loveless (Smith College).
· Leigh Stearns (University of Kansas; At-Large representative).
Incumbents whose terms are expiring:
· Ramon Arrowsmith (Arizona State University)
· Roland Bürgmann (University of California Berkeley)
Both Ramon Arrowsmith and Roland Bürgmann are eligible for a second term, should they be nominated and willing.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 27138 bytes
More information about the unav_all