[unav_all] EarthScope Synthesis Workshops deadline extended to March 4

Jeff Freymueller jfreymueller at alaska.edu
Thu Feb 25 09:20:23 MST 2016

We have extended the deadline for submitting EarthScope Synthesis Workshop proposals by one week to March 4.

Synthesis Workshops are envisioned to be small workshops of 10-15 people that are intended to help start successful working groups. Travel and other costs of the workshops will be supported by the EarthScope National Office (ESNO). The ESNO will be using the output of these workshops as part of its efforts to bring EarthScope science to the public, and we hope that the workshops themselves will lead to working groups that will follow up with additional research, papers, or their own proposals as appropriate.

As the end of the formal EarthScope program approaches, it is timely for the geosciences community to work towards synthesis of multiple types of data focused on a single region or topic. For example, data from USArray, PBO, and SAFOD activities could be linked with results from other disciplines. EarthScope science offers many opportunities for synthesis, both within and between disciplines. Over the next four years, the EarthScope National Office at the University of Alaska Fairbanks will support a series of roughly 10 EarthScope Synthesis Workshops, each of which will bring a small group of scientists together from multiple disciplines.

More information can be found at http://www.earthscope.org/science/about-synthesis-workshops <http://www.earthscope.org/?ACT=57&spoor=18c3f69792f46bb6b764778137221e07&link_id=3011> and the application form can be found at http://www.earthscope.org/call-for-synthesis-proposals <http://www.earthscope.org/?ACT=57&spoor=18c3f69792f46bb6b764778137221e07&link_id=3012>.

Also, one point of clarification. Later, after workshop topics have been chosen and participants have been selected, we will ask all of them individually to submit working material that will be used in the workshops. What the organizers should submit now in the supplemental file should be limited to figures and/or text that clarify the scope and aims, and illustrate their own commitment to the topic (not a full submission of everything they would bring to the workshop). And there is a 5MB limit on the upload, so we don’t want you to go overboard.

Jeff

Dr. Jeffrey T. Freymueller         Office: 907-474-7286
Geophysical Institute                Cell:   907-378-7556
University of Alaska, Fairbanks    Home:   907-479-3550
Fairbanks, AK 99775-7320           email: jfreymueller at alaska.edu

Download Alaska GPS data: ftp://gps.alaska.edu/pub/gpsdata/