[unav_all] AGU Geodesy/Tectonophysics Session: Time-dependent deformation in geodetic data: advances in detection, modeling and interpretation

Chris Rollins john.c.rollins at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 12:33:09 MDT 2016

Hi all,

We would like to invite those interested to attend and submit abstracts to
a session we are running in the Geodesy and Tectonophysics sections at this
year's AGU Fall Meeting, "Time-dependent deformation in geodetic data:
advances in detection, modeling and interpretation," session G024 (ID#
13407).

Session Description:
Today space geodesy provides unprecedented coverage of the Earth's surface
and can detect time-dependent deformation on time scales ranging from
seconds to decades and over length scales ranging from meters to plate
boundaries. The accurate detection of these deformation signals, in concert
with accurate modelling of the processes that drive them, is of vital
importance in topics ranging from studies of the seismic cycle and
volcanism to the understanding of natural and anthropogenic hydrological
processes. We welcome contributions on both the theoretical side - advances
in algorithms for the detection of time-dependent signals in geodetic data
and in the modelling of deformation processes - and on the applied side -
uses of these techniques to gain insights into deformation processes in
both tectonic and non-tectonic contexts - with the goal that the space
geodesist can find the best practices for every step of a research project
within a single session.

Conveners:
Chris Rollins, Caltech
Adriano Gualandi, Caltech
Jessica Murray, USGS Menlo Park
Mong-Han Huang, NASA JPL

As a reminder, those interested in our session will likely also be
interested in the session being run by Matt King and Alvaro
Santamaria-Gomez (announcement sent out previously June 21), "Separating
and explaining multiple signals in geodetic data," session G021 (ID#
12290). Regardless of which session you choose to present in, we hope that
those interested will attend both sessions, as this essentially doubles the
amount of time to exchange ideas and best practices in this discipline.

Feel free to send any questions or comments my way at jcrollin at caltech.edu,
and we hope to see you there! As a reminder, the abstract submission
deadline is 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time on August 3.

Thanks,
Chris