[unav_all] Fall AGU Session G019: Scientific and practical challenges of replacing NAD 83, NAVD 88 and IGLD 85

Craymer, Michael (NRCan/RNCan) michael.craymer at canada.ca
Tue Jul 12 00:36:24 MDT 2016

Dear colleagues,

We draw your attention to AGU Fall Meeting session G019 titled "Scientific and practical challenges of replacing NAD 83, NAVD 88 and IGLD 85".  This session focuses on the very broad ranging set of issues surrounding all aspects of simultaneously replacing the traditional horizontal, vertical and dynamic height datums of North America, en masse, with more modern ones by 2022. Topics relevant to this session include:

(1) defining a geocentric reference system fixed to a moving and deforming continent
(2) defining a geoid-based, continental-wide vertical datum
(3) implementing time dependencies including geoid change
(4) creating accurate transformations between datums
(5) defining the role of private RTK networks
(6) determining dynamic heights from GPS without leveling
(7) building geospatial databases capable of handling historic static data along with modern time-dependent data
(8) collaborations with neighboring countries to ensure compatible and seamless reference systems across the continent.

Submit your abstracts here:
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm16/preliminaryview.cgi/Session12899

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you in San Francisco!

Dru Smith (dru.smith at noaa.gov<mailto:dru.smith at noaa.gov>), National Geodetic Survey, NOAA
Michael Craymer (michael.craymer at canada.ca<mailto:michael.craymer at canada.ca>), Canadian Geodetic Survey, Natural Resources Canada
Convenors