[unav_all] Consider submitting to our AGU session

Jeff Freymueller jfreymueller at alaska.edu
Sat Jul 16 15:55:31 MDT 2016

Please consider submitting an abstract to our AGU session, “Plate Motion, Continental Deformation, and Interseismic Strain Accumulation.” The AGU abstract deadline is creeping up on us: August 3rd.

Jeff

G013:
Plate Motion, Continental Deformation, and Interseismic Strain Accumulation

Session ID#: 12404
Session Description:
Space geodetic positioning data (particularly GNSS and InSAR) are commonly used to evaluate how plate motion is being taken up by continental deformation and the mechanisms of elastic strain cycles. Such studies often integrate geodetic solutions with geological and geophysical data in computational models. We are inviting studies that utilize geodetic and geologic/geophysical observations to investigate the character of intra-plate and plate boundary deformation zones, interseismic strain accumulation and co- and post-seismic strain release.  We seek studies that help to answer many related questions like (but not limited to): What fraction of plate motion is taken up by fault slip during earthquakes and through creep processes? And what fraction becomes part of distributed deformation off of the major faults?  How representative are the present-day angular velocities of the geologic plate tectonic motions?  To what degree do postseismic transients perturb the nearly constant velocity of the plates?
Primary Convener:
Donald F Argus, JPL, Pasadena, CA, United States
Conveners:
Jeffrey Todd Freymueller, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK, United States, Rui Manuel Silva Fernandes, Universidade da Beira Interior, Covilhã, Portugal and D. Sarah Stamps, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA, United States

Dr. Jeffrey T. Freymueller         Office: 907-474-7286
Geophysical Institute                Cell:   907-378-7556
University of Alaska, Fairbanks    Home:   907-479-3550
Fairbanks, AK 99775-7320           email: jfreymueller at alaska.edu

Download Alaska GPS data: ftp://gps.alaska.edu/pub/gpsdata/