[unav_all] AGU session (ED033-13499) Sympathy for the Data: Novel approaches to the art of data visualization

Natalie Accardo accardo at ldeo.columbia.edu
Mon Jul 18 12:47:08 MDT 2016

 Hello!

We would like to invite the community to consider submitting abstracts to our AGU 2016 Fall Meeting session, which focuses on novel data visualization techniques. Specifically, we would like to bring together a diverse range of geoscientists to discuss the many different platforms and technologies being used and developed for data visualization. It is listed in the Education section (and so doesn’t count towards the 1 submitted, 1 invited abstract limit for the AGU Fall Meeting), and is cross-listed with Public Affairs. This session is also being considered for alternate presentation formats.

Session title:
Sympathy for the Data: Novel approaches to the art of data visualization (ED033-13499)

Session Description:
Representing data in a clear, concise and attractive manner is the primary tool scientists use to communicate their research at all levels. Insights into complex systems within Earth sciences often arise through the integration of highly varied, multidimensional, and ever-growing datasets. However, concisely communicating results within traditional frameworks can be challenging.  Developing clear, interactive and intuitive visualization software and pedagogy can aid scientists in sharing new and innovative research with their peers and the general public. We invite abstracts focused on best practices of data visualization in the Earth sciences as well as introducing new approaches and platforms. Abstracts will ideally center on data visualization across a breadth of subjects and the inter-disciplinary potential of methods/products. Although the primary focus of the session focuses on visual aids, alternative approaches (e.g. the use of sounds) to communicating data are encouraged.

Please consider contributing to what we hope is a beneficial discussion of the best data visualization techniques that we, as scientists, can continue to build on in the future to better communicate our research. We look forward to your contributions! Any questions can be addressed to Martin (martin at seismo.wustl.edu). We are very interested in receiving abstracts from a wide range of researchers to develop networks across disciplines.

The AGU 2016 abstract submission deadline is 11:59 PM EDT on 3 August 2016. Many thanks for your consideration!

Conveners:

Martin Pratt (Washington University in St. Louis)
Natalie Accardo (Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Columbia University)
Hannah Rabinowitz (Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Columbia University)
John Leeman (Pennsylvania State University)