[unav_all] IRIS WEBINAR - Building Earthquake Earth Warning on the West Coast - 3/16 @ 2p ET

Justin Sweet justin.sweet at iris.edu
Thu Mar 10 12:54:55 MST 2016

Please register for Building Earthquake Early Warning on the West Coast on Mar 16, 2016 2:00 PM EDT at:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/686100026887512068

Presenter: John Vidale, University of Washington

Abstract: For a long time, the possibility has been recognized to very quickly learn of large earthquakes to provide time for people and machinery to react. Its implementation is finally partially funded and underway on the west coast through a partnership of the USGS and universities. I’ll review the (very simple) theory and the current status of efforts, which started to enable some pilot measures in California last month and should do the same in the Pacific Northwest this fall.

Additional info on earthquake early warning:
USGS 		earthquake.usgs.gov/research/earlywarning
CalTech 		www.eew.caltech.edu
UC Berkeley 	seismo.berkeley.edu/research/early_warning
UW 			www.pnsn.org/pnsn-data-products/earthquake-early-warning
UO 			around.uoregon.edu/content/university-expands-its-role-earthquake-early-warning-system

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. NOTE: Registration does not confirm or guarantee you will have a spot during the webinar, as we are limited to 100 participants. Webinars are archived for later viewing at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD4D607C2FA317E6D