[unav_all] USGS Mendenhall Postdoc Opportunity: Limitations and Uncertainty Estimates in Seismic Ground Motion Records

Ringler, Adam aringler at usgs.gov
Thu Mar 31 08:06:23 MDT 2016

16-18. Limitations and Uncertainty Estimates in Seismic Ground Motion
Records
<http://geology.usgs.gov/postdoc/opps/2016/round16/16-18%20Ringler.htm>

Our ability to estimate the location and magnitude of seismic events is
fundamentally limited by our ability to discern earth-generated seismic
signals from equipment-produced artifacts and signals. However, little is
known about the accuracy and precision of the output of seismic records
when the errors are not easily identified as gross instrumentation
problems.  Research under this Opportunity is expected to focus broadly on
methods for quantifying both accuracy and precision of seismic recording
equipment as well as the installation techniques used.  The end goal being
to better quantify our ability to record ground motions across USGS seismic
networks.

*Proposed Duty Station:* Albuquerque, NM

*Research Advisor(s):* Adam T. Ringler, aringler at usgs.gov; David Wilson,
dwilson at usgs.gov; and Bob Hutt, bhutt at usgs.gov.

*Full Project description:
**http://geology.usgs.gov/postdoc/opps/2016/round16/16-18%20Ringler.htm
<http://geology.usgs.gov/postdoc/opps/2016/round16/16-18%20Ringler.htm>*

*For other Mendenhall Post-doc Opportunities see: *
http://geology.usgs.gov/postdoc/