[unav_all] IAVCEI 2017 - I.2 Relating magmatic-tectonic processes and volcano flank stability

Montgomery-brown, Emily emontgomery-brown at usgs.gov
Mon Jan 23 12:33:59 MST 2017

Dear colleagues,

As you know, the abstract submission for the 2017 IAVCEI Scientific
Assembly (http://iavcei2017.org/ which will be held in Portland, Oregon,
during August 14-18) is now open, and the *deadline is March 17, 2017*.  We
kindly encourage you to submit your abstacts to the session *I.2 Relating
magmatic-tectonic processes and volcano flank stability*.

Here follows the description of the session:

*I.2 Relating magmatic-tectonic processes and volcano flank stability*

*Conveners:* Alessandro Bonforte, Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e
Vulcanologia, Italy; alessandro.bonforte at ingv.it
Emily Montgomery-Brown, USGS, California Volcano Observatory;
emontgomery-brown at usgs.gov
Lauren N. Schaefer, University of Canterbury, Geological Sciences, College
of Science, New Zealand, lauren.schaefer at canterbury.ac.nz
Mark Thomas, University of Leeds; m.e.thomas at leeds.ac.uk
Aline Peltier, Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris, Observatoire
Volcanologique du Piton de La Fournaise, La Réunion, France; peltier at ipgp.fr

Volcanoes show a wide range of phenomena related to the interaction of
magmatic and tectonic processes that can influence their activity and
development. The morpho-structural setting of the volcano basement
influences the stress regime and thus the seismic and volcanic activity. In
turn, the growth of a volcano and the magma overpressure disturbs the
regional tectonic framework, clamps and unclamps existing faults, and
influences the ascent of magma-filled dikes. This can induce instability in
the edifice, producing additional dynamics that are influenced by the
structural architecture of the edifice. Thus, although flank movement is
often observed at volcanoes, the interpretation of such events is
challenged by the complex and evolving interactions between tectonic,
magmatic, fluid, and gravitational processes. However, given the hazard
implications of flank instability and collapse, there remains a critical
need to parameterize and link these physical processes.

This session invites research efforts that observe, quantify, or model
flank movements and their relationship to volcano-tectonic processes such
as magma ascent and intrusion, regional and local tectonic settings, and
volcanic activity. We encourage multidisciplinary contributions that
integrate geological, petrological, geophysical, geochemical, and/or
experimental data.
Thank you and see you in Portland!
Alessandro, Emily, Lauren, Mark and Aline

Emily Montgomery-Brown
emontgomery-brown at usgs.gov
alternate: emilymb1 at gmail.com
650-329-5227