[unav_all] AGU 2017 - G013: Near-Surface Structure and the Mechanics of Shallow Fault Slip

Minson, Sarah sminson at usgs.gov
Wed Jul 19 15:08:55 MDT 2017

We know there are many AGU sessions vying for your attention.  But we hope
you will consider submitting an abstract to our exciting,
cross-disciplinary session co-organized between the Geodesy, Seismology,
and Tectonophysics sections:

G013: Near-Surface Structure and the Mechanics of Shallow Fault Slip
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session22584

Despite application of various geologic and geophysical methods,
fault-related deformation in the shallow crust remains poorly understood.
For example, geomorphic mapping and paleoseismology recover displacement
across discrete fault traces, but cannot resolve slip at depth.
Conventional geodetic measurements (e.g., InSAR, GNSS) capture deformation
over larger regions and can infer slip at depth, but lack near-field data
necessary to constrain shallow slip. Similarly, near-surface fault
architecture and rheology are constrained using borehole data, rock
mechanics experiments, and seismic tomography, each providing valuable, yet
isolated, windows into the physics of shallow faulting. These varied
approaches may lead to surprisingly different inferred slip rates, shallow
slip deficits, predicted near-field ground motions, and conflicting
interpretations of off-fault deformation; affecting our understanding of
fault physics and probabilistic seismic hazard analysis. This session
welcomes approaches that seek to reconcile these disparate observations and
create unified models of the structure and deformation of the shallow crust.