[unav_all] AGU Session ED022 - Fighting for Science: Methods to Engage the Public in Productive Discussion about Science

Stefany Sit ssit at uic.edu
Fri Jul 28 14:56:51 MDT 2017

We are pleased to announce AGU Fall Meeting session: *ED022 - Fighting for
Science: Methods to Engage the Public in Productive Discussion about
Science.* If you are planning on attending AGU this fall in New Orleans,
please consider submitting to the session.

Our session has been selected for a panel discussion (see the panelists
below), however we are also aiming to organize a poster or oral session
featuring the dynamic ways you and your colleagues are engaging the public.
Please share this announcement with those you think may be interested. Even
if you don't submit an abstract, we want to encourage you to attend our
session so that you can add your thoughts and ideas to our discussion.

*Session Description:* Scientific topics are more commonly being covered in
the news and discussed on social media, giving scientists new opportunities
to act as ambassadors for science literacy and advocacy in the public and
in policy. This session aims to compile innovative and successful efforts
that engage and address public opinions of Geoscience, including topics
like climate change, natural hazards, and energy. The goal is to learn
about the best practices for engaging the public including students in the
classroom, visitors to a museum, and friends on social media in productive
conversations about science. Respectful and effective discourse between
scientists and the public is paramount for the future of scientific
research in the US.

*Session Panelists:*
*Maeve Boland*, American Geosciences Institute - Geoscience Policy
*Roberta Johnson*, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign - K-12
Education and Public Outreach
*Ankur Desai*, University of Wisconsin, Madison - Undergraduate Education
*Wendy Bohon*, Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology - Informal
Science Education and Social Media
*Kris Larsen*, University of Colorado, Boulder - Scientist and City Mayor
*Rex Buchanan*, Kansas Geological Survey - Journalist, Public Policy

*Session Viewer Link:* https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm1
7/preliminaryview.cgi/Session27270.html

*Submission Deadline:* August 2

*Conveners:*
Stefany Sit, University of Illinois at Chicago
D'Arcy Meyer Dombard, University of Illinois at Chicago

-----

Stefany Sit
Clinical Assistant Professor

The University of Illinois at Chicago

845 W. Taylor St. MC 186, Chicago, IL 60607-7059
312-413-1868 | ssit at uic.edu

[image: U I C]