[unav_all] Polar Networks Science Committee

Leigh Stearns stearns at ku.edu
Fri Jun 9 13:11:11 MDT 2017

Dear UNAVCO-ers,

I just wanted to introduce myself as the new chair of the PNSC (Polar
Networks Science Committee) - a joint UNAVCO/IRIS committee. Our charter
is appended below. As we get ready for our annual meeting (June 22), I
wanted to reach out to the community so 1) you know we exist and 2) to
solicit feedback or discussion items. If you have a polar-related topic
or concern that you'd like us to address, please let me or one of your
other PNSC committee members know.

Our meeting minutes will be posted here
<https://www.unavco.org/community/governance/committees/polar/polar.html>
shortly after we convene.

thanks,

Leigh

_PNSC members (contact info _here
<https://www.unavco.org/community/governance/committees/committees.html#pnsc>_)_:
Rick Aster (IRIS rep)
Jennifer Haase (UNAVCO rep)
Samantha Hansen (IRIS rep)
Erik Ivins (UNAVCO rep)
John LaBrecque (UNAVCO Board Liaison)
Matthew Lazzara (UNAVCO rep)
Jake Walter (IRIS rep)
Paul Winberry (IRIS rep)

PNSC Charter Tasks (full charter is here
<https://www.unavco.org/community/governance/committees/polar/Polar_Comm_Charter_2011_10_11.pdf>)

- To engage the science/research community in developing a sustainable
vision for polar geodetic and seismic networks.
- To coordinate input to IRIS and UNAVCO from the science/research
community regarding polar, networks and facilities and to provide
information to the research community on the polar instrumentation
capabilities of the facilities.
- To advise and engage IRIS and UNAVCO on initiatives related to
technology and facilities for support of polar geodetic and seismic
research.
- To provide advice on the technical and logistic challenges of polar
focused data acquisition, and to facilitate coordination between
IRIS/PASSCAL and UNAVCO development efforts.
- To facilitate linkages between IRIS/UNAVCO efforts and other polar
scientific communities.

--
Leigh A. Stearns, Associate Professor

Department of Geology
University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045

stearns at ku.edu, 785-864-4202
http://stearns.dept.ku.edu/