[unav_all] Community Volcano Experiment (COVE) -- Design Survey

ronni grapenthin rg at nmt.edu
Tue Nov 21 10:34:31 MST 2017

Dear colleagues,

The recent ERUPT
<http://dels.nas.edu/Report/Volcanic-Eruptions-Their-Repose-Unrest/24650>,
SZ4D
<https://www.iris.edu/hq/news/story/final_report_from_subduction_zone_observatory_workshop_now_available>,
and USGS subduction zone science
<https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/fs20173024> reports highlight the
need for interdisciplinary, detailed research on active volcanic systems.
With the survey below, we request your input regarding an initiative to
propose a Community Volcano Experiment (COVE) to the US National Science
Foundation to stimulate interdisciplinary research on active volcanic
systems. As currently envisioned, ‘community volcano’ sites would likely
target one or a small cluster of volcanoes and obtain a level of
multidisciplinary observations that are not typically feasible for
individual researchers or small groups. COVE would focus on data collection
and dissemination only, and all data and data products would be immediately
open access to enable broad participation of the international research
community with cutting-edge observational constraints. The overarching goal
is to facilitate research leading toward the development of integrated
physical and chemical models of volcanic processes. The survey questions
are meant to be generic with respect to the specific sites. Our survey aims
to obtain broad community input regarding what kinds of data and data
products, data access, and student and early career training and fieldwork
opportunities would make community volcano projects an asset for your
research. Free format input is also solicited at the end of the survey.
Opportunities to comment in person will also occur at the AGU Fall Meeting.
Thank you for taking the time to share your expertise. We would appreciate
if you could provide you input by Friday December 22nd, 2017.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LSVWX8W

COVE Team - Brandon Schmandt (U. New Mexico), David Fee (U. Alaska
Fairbanks), Tobias Fischer (U. New Mexico), Esteban Gazel (Cornell U.)
Ronni Grapenthin (New Mexico Tech.), Einat Lev (LDEO)

--
Ronni Grapenthin
Assistant Professor of Geophysics

phone: +1 (575) 835 5924