[unav_all] Grand Challenges in Geodesy Workshop

Freymueller, Jeffrey freymuel at msu.edu
Wed Aug 1 19:43:52 MDT 2018

I had meant to send a reminder a week or so before the deadline, but I should have had a reminder to send the reminder. Well, you know… So we are extending the deadline for a week or so. Send in your applications and come to the workshop!
-- Jeff

Re-examining our Grand Challenges in Geodesy Workshop - Deadline Extended!
November 8-9, 2018; East Lansing, Michigan, USA

The deadline to attend has been EXTENDED! Please apply by Monday, August 13th! Please apply by visiting: http://www.earthscope.org/events/re_examining_grand_challenges<https://earthscope.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e3dba87bb5d7a925a1e5dd689&id=4af7362c09&e=bbcb24eab4>,
If you cannot attend the workshop but would like to contribute to writing the white paper, please fill out the online form as well.
--

In preparation for the upcoming National Academies study “Catalyzing Opportunities for Research in the Earth Sciences (CORES): A Decadal Survey for NSF's Division of Earth Sciences” (http://dels.nas.edu/Study-In-Progress/Catalyzing-Opportunities-Research/DELS-BESR-17-06<https://earthscope.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e3dba87bb5d7a925a1e5dd689&id=e788f6c609&e=bbcb24eab4>), NSF is requesting an update to the Grand Challenges in Geodesy document that was developed several years ago. We are convening a workshop “Re-examining our Grand Challenges in Geodesy” on November 8-9, 2018, on the campus of Michigan State University in East Lansing, MI, for this purpose.

The goal of the workshop is to assess progress in geodesy over the last several years, considering both areas of significant recent progress and areas of substantial new opportunity. Limited support for travel expenses is available with funding from the National Science Foundation, with priority for students and early career scientists. We anticipate being able to support approximately 40 participants.

The workshop dates immediately follow the GSA meeting in nearby Indianapolis, and we can arrange transportation from there if there are enough participants attending that meeting. We will ask several participants to serve on the writing team, who will need to stay over the night of November 9. The remaining participants will be able to fly home the afternoon of November 9.

The current Grand Challenges document is available at UNAVCO:
https://www.unavco.org/community/publications_and_reports/geodesy_science_plan/GrandChallengesInGeodesy-Final-Singles-LR.pdf<https://earthscope.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e3dba87bb5d7a925a1e5dd689&id=99a98babba&e=bbcb24eab4>

On behalf of the organizing committee,
Jeff Freymueller
Rebecca Bendick
Adrian Borsa
Andy Newman

Jeff
Dr. Jeffrey T. Freymueller
Thomas A. Vogel Endowed Chair for Geology of the Solid Earth
Dept. of Earth and Environmental Sciences
Michigan State University