[unav_all] WEGENER Session in EGU General Assembly 2018

Haluk Ozener ozener at boun.edu.tr
Thu Jan 4 23:48:00 MST 2018

Dear Colleagues                    (*** Apologies for cross-posting ***),

We are pleased to announce Session G3.5/GD2.7/SM 2.18 Monitoring and
modelling of geodynamics and crustal deformation: progress during 37 years
of the WEGENER initiative (co-organized)

at the EGU General Assembly 2018 on Sunday, 8 April ­ Friday, 13 April 2018
in Vienna, Austria.

Link: http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2018/session/26523
----------
Session G3.5/GD2.7/SM 2.18 Monitoring and modelling of geodynamics and
crustal deformation: progress during 37 years of the WEGENER initiative
(co-organized):

The processes of the Earth deformation can be revealed by means of diverse
methods of investigations. The seasonal distribution of surface loading, the
earthquake cycle, volcanic processes (eruptions, dike intrusions, induced
seismic activity), near surface motions (landslides, induced and natural
superficial subsidence/collapse).
Recently, major earthquakes in Sumatra (2004, Mw 9.2), Maule (2010, Mw 8.8),
Haiti (2010, Mw 7.1) and Tohoku (2011, Mw 9.0) have exposed the impact of
such events and the need for better understanding of Earth deformation
processes. These events illustrate the geodynamic complexities that include
subduction zones and giant earthquakes, continental faults and depth versus
surface deformation, the seismic cycle and seismotectonics of active zones,
magmatism processes and crustal deformation. The observation techniques,
methods and data analysis need the Earth observation systems and reference
frames that include remote sensing and surface and satellite gravity
observations
This session is conducted in the frame of the WEGENER consortium*) and we
seek submissions that emphasize multidisciplinary studies of Earth
deformation using geodetic techniques (GPS, InSAR, LiDAR,
space/air/terrestrial gravity, ground-based geodetic observations),
complementary tectonic and geophysical observations, and modeling approaches
focusing on the European-Mediterranean and Northern African regions. We also
welcome contributions discussing the realization and outcomes of Supersites
in the frame of the GEO initiative, as well as fundamental studies of
natural and induced physical phenomena, strategies to develop early warning
and rapid response systems.
*) The World Earthquake GEodesy Network for Environmental Hazard Research
(Sub-commission 3.5 of IAG commission 3, namely Tectonics and Earthquake
Geodesy)
----------

This session is co-organized by Geodesy (G), Geodynamics (GD) and Seismology
(SM) We expect considerable and diverse interest in the topic and we¹re
looking forward to an enjoyable and exciting session.

Please consider submitting an abstract for this Geodesy session.  Check the
meeting website for updates, and complete submission policies:
https://egu2018.eu/home.html

Please note ­ the deadline for abstracts is 10 January 2018 (13:00 CET), so
please plan accordingly and submit your abstract soon.

This session will be scheduled by EGU as either oral or poster or both,
depending on the number and quality of the abstracts submitted.  Authors
will be informed in March regarding the date and format (oral or poster) of
their

paper.

We look forward to hearing from you and thank you for considering this
opportunity to share your research and applications insights.

Please forgive us if you receive multiple postings as we are seeking to
distribute this announcement broadly to reach as many disciplines as
appropriate.

Haluk Ozener
Bogazici University, KOERI
ozener at boun.edu.tr