[unav_all] SSA/LACSC 2018 session on complex earthquakes

Hayes, Gavin ghayes at usgs.gov
Thu Jan 11 10:50:39 MST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

The SSA abstract submission deadline (01/24) is approaching! We would like
to bring to your attention our session titled “Observations and the Physics
Behind Complex Earthquakes”. Please consider submitting an abstract - we
look forward to seeing you in Miami.

Observations and the Physics Behind Complex Earthquakes
New observations of large earthquakes are challenging the simple model of a
smoothly expanding rupture on a planar fault. Some recent events have
involved multiple faults (e.g., 2012 M 8.6 Sumatra, 2016 M 7.8 Kaikoura,
New Zealand), re-rupturing of a single fault patch (e.g., 2015 M 7.5 Hindu
Kush), dynamic triggering of later sub-events (e.g., 1997 M 7.1 Harnai,
Pakistan) and the interaction between intraplate and interplate faults
(e.g., 2009 M 8.1 Samoa-Tonga, 2016 M 7.9 Papua New Guinea). Are these
earthquakes outliers? Or does our increased ability to resolve a detailed
picture capture a new norm? How can we define a new common behavior? What
are the physical mechanisms that control the signatures of complex
earthquakes? We welcome contributions on geodetic, seismic and field
observations of complex earthquakes, new source inversion/imaging
techniques, as well as physical analysis and simulation of complex
earthquakes.
Session Conveners
Zhongwen Zhan, California Institute of Technology, <zwzhan at gps.caltech.edu>
Gavin Hayes, U.S. Geological Survey NEIC, <ghayes at usgs.gov>