[unav_all] Sea-floor geodesy and more at the 2018 AOGS meeting in Honolulu

James Foster jfoster at soest.hawaii.edu
Thu Jan 18 13:03:49 MST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to our session IG11: "Integrated Analysis of
Geoscience Observations from the Floor to Surface of the Ocean” at the 2018 AOGS
meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii, on 4-8 June 2018.

In this session, we invite contributions on the precise estimation of seafloor
crustal deformation by using sonic wave signals in order to share discussion with
ocean physicists.

Session Description:
Sea bottom pressure data contains various components such as crustal deformation,
ocean oscillations, tidal variability, atmospheric changes, and instrumental drift.
The same is true for acoustic ranging data collected during sea-floor geodetic
measurements. To date, seismologists and geodesists have generally treated the
physical oceanographic processes as noise, and ocean physicists have considered
crustal deformation as noise. Studies from a wide range of different disciplines
from the sea level down to seafloor are necessary for characterizing, identifying,
and interpreting the sources of these superposed signals. In this session, we
welcome contributions focusing on our understanding of the nature of the signals and
noise observed in sea-floor seismology, geodesy, ocean physics, meteorology, tsunami
technology, and the complementary relationships between them.

Conveners:
Dr. James Foster (University of Hawaii at Manoa, United States)
Dr. Wu-Cheng Chi (Academia Sinica, Taiwan)
Dr. Akira Kuwano-Yoshida (Kyoto University, Japan)
Dr. Keisuke Ariyoshi (Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology, Japan)

Further Information at AOGS website:
https://www.meetmatt-svr3.net/aogs/aogs2018/mars2/pubSessionView.asp?sID=58

Abstract Deadline:  19 January 2018
Meeting Dates:  4-8 June 2018