[unav_all] AGU2018 session on 3D Printing in Earth and Planetary Science E/PO

Christodoulos Kyriakopoulos christos at ucr.edu
Thu Jul 12 22:51:27 MDT 2018

*Subject: *AGU2018 session on 3D Printing in Earth and Planetary Science
E/PO

Dear colleagues,

Its AGU abstracts season again!  For that reason, we would like to draw
your attention to the following education session at the upcoming 2018 AGU
Fall Meeting this December.

Please consider submitting an abstract to *ED001: 3D Printing in Earth and
Planetary Science Education and Outreach (**https://agu.confex.com/agu/*
<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Session/48843>*)*

3D printing is a cutting-edge technology that holds tremendous promise for
scientific research and education. For Earth and planetary scientists, the
advantages of using such technology includes the ability to elucidate
spatially complex geological structures and processes that are otherwise
difficult to visualize using 2D media such as computer screens or paper.
Concepts around earthquake faults, volcanoes, and trilobites often become
more approachable for non-experts when 3D printed because they can be
handheld and sometimes physically manipulated. The generation of 3D printed
models, including experimental Lab samples (e.g. synthetic rocks), is not
only a way to create hands-on educational activities, but a powerful tool
to present our data and numerical models to a broader audience. This
session focuses on 3D printing techniques and examples of 3D printed models
used to enhance educational experiences. Presentations that focus on 3D
printing technology, pedagogy, or both are welcome.
This year the abstract submission deadline is *Wednesday, August 1st, 11:59
P.M. EDT.*

We would be honoured to have you as contributors in our session.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about the session.

Sincerely,

Christos Kyriakopoulos, UC Riverside (christos at ucr.edu)

Gary Glesener, Virginia Tech (gbgmedl at vt.edu)