[unav_all] AGU Session G017: Plate Motion, Continental Deformation, and Interseismic Strain Accumulation

Freymueller, Jeffrey freymuel at msu.edu
Sun Jul 15 20:11:56 MDT 2018

On behalf of my co-conveners Donald Argus, Rui Fernandes, and Sarah Stamps, we invite submissions to our session at the upcoming Fall AGU Meeting. The abstract deadline is August 1, at 11:59pm eastern time.

G017:  Plate Motion, Continental Deformation, and Interseismic Strain Accumulation

We seek studies examining the take up of plate motion in deforming zones and the buildup and release of elastic strain along major faults using space geodetic measurements, geologic observations, and geophysical data such as seismicity, marine magnetic anomalies, and transform fault azimuths.  How can GPS and InSAR be integrated to determine deformation in plate boundary zones?  To what extent can observed elastic strain buildup and past earthquakes be used to infer the likelihood of future earthquakes?  Are fault slip rates from paleoseismology identical to those from geodetic data?  What fraction of plate motion is taken up by fault slip during earthquakes, and what fraction becomes part of distributed deformation off the major faults?  How fast are mountains currently rising?  To what degree do postseismic transients alter the nearly constant velocity of the plates, and how can postseismic transients influence the definition of Earth's reference frame?

Abstracts can be submitted using the following link:
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/g/papers/index.cgi?sessionid=45793

The complete program is available through this link:
https://fallmeeting.agu.org/2018/abstract-submissions/

Jeff
Dr. Jeffrey T. Freymueller
Thomas A. Vogel Endowed Chair for Geology of the Solid Earth
Dept. of Earth and Environmental Sciences
Michigan State University