[unav_all] Tenure Track Faculty Position at the University of Michigan in Solid Earth Geophysics or Geology

Nathan Niemi naniemi at umich.edu
Sat Jun 16 14:44:58 MDT 2018

 Faculty Position in Solid Earth Geophysics or Geology
The Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at the University of Michigan is searching for candidates in the areas of solid earth geophysics or geology for a tenure-track position at the assistant professor level. This is a university-year appointment with an expected start date of September 1, 2019. We anticipate additional hires in this direction in future years, and are particularly interested in candidates whose strengths will complement existing research programs within the Department.
 In the area of solid earth geophysics, we encourage applications from candidates in any area of solid-earth geophysics. Fields of interest include, but are not limited to, geodesy, geodynamics, geomagnetism, rock physics, and seismology. We are particularly interested in those applicants whose work is focused at the global scale and complements our existing program strengths in tectonics, mineral physics, earthquake seismology and imaging of the deep Earth’s interior.
 In the area of solid earth geology, we encourage applications from candidates whose research interests encompass the origin, evolution, or dynamics of the continents. The successful candidate will develop a strong field-based research program, complemented by expertise in analytical techniques or in numerical or analogue modeling. Candidates with an interest in understanding continental evolution in deep geologic time or geochronology are particularly encouraged to apply.
 The successful candidate is expected to establish an independent research program and contribute to undergraduate and graduate teaching. Applicants must have a Ph.D. at the time of appointment and should submit a cover letter, CV, statement of current and future research plans, statement of teaching philosophy and experience, evidence of teaching excellence, if available, up to four publications, and the names and contact information for at least four references.
 Information about the Department can be found at: www.lsa.umich.edu/earth.
To apply please go to https://apps-prod.earth.lsa.umich.edu/search18/, complete the online form, and upload the required application documents as a single PDF file. If you have any questions or comments, please send an email message to Michigan-Earth-Search at umich.edu.
 The application deadline is August 20, 2018 for full consideration, but applications will continue to be reviewed until the position is filled. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. The University is supportive of the needs of dual career couples and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.

Nathan Niemi
Associate Professor
University of Michigan | Earth and Environmental Sciences
1100 N. University Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
phone: +1 734.764.6377;
email: naniemi at umich.edu
http://www.earth.lsa.umich.edu/~naniemi/