[unav_all] AGU Fall Meeting 2018: V044. Volcano Seismology and Acoustics: Recent Advances in Understanding Volcanic Processes

Diana Roman droman at carnegiescience.edu
Tue Jun 26 13:26:53 MDT 2018

Dear colleagues (with apologies for multiple postings),

While preparing your abstracts for this year's AGU Fall Meeting, we
invite you to consider our session about using seismic and acoustic
data to study volcanic processes.

Session ID: 44116
Session Title: V044. Volcano Seismology and Acoustics: Recent Advances
in Understanding Volcanic Processes
Section/Focus Group: Volcanology, Geochemistry and Petrology

Conveners:
Alexandra Iezzi, Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks
Diana Roman, Carnegie Institution for Science Washington
Weston Thelen, USGS, Cascade Volcano Observatory
Benoit Taisne, Earth Observatory of Singapore

Session Details: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Session/441
16

Session Description:
          Volcanic eruptions may involve a variety of hazardous
phenomena including ash plumes, gas emissions, explosions, pyroclastic
flows, lava flows, and lahars. Mass wasting may also occur during
periods of volcanic quiescence. All of these phenomena produce seismic
and infrasound signals that may provide key real-time information on
hazardous surface phenomena. We can also gain insights into volcanic
hazards by tracking subsurface processes such as magma and hydrothermal
fluid migration using volcano seismology.
          Recent advances in analysis and interpretation of seismic and
acoustic data facilitate a precise characterization and quantification
of the physical processes leading to and producing hazardous volcanic
phenomena. However, volcano seismology and acoustics remains an
emerging area of research.
          We welcome submissions that explore new seismic and acoustic
observations, interpretations, models, instrumentation, or techniques
that further our understanding of volcanic processes and potentially
aid future monitoring efforts.

The deadline for all submissions is Wednesday, 1 August 23:59 EDT. In
case of any questions, please contact Alex Iezzi (amiezzi at alaska.edu).

We look forward to seeing you in Washington D.C.,

Alex, Diana, Wes, and Benoit

--
Diana C. Roman
Email: droman at carnegiescience.edu